Curtailing metabolism drops/dieting side effects

Options
I'm sure that's the magic question that everyone wants answered. Short background: I lost about 60 pounds 10 years ago but ended up with 4+ years of depression, feeling cold all the time, and constant weakness/fatigue and I finally feel brave enough to lose weight again. Are there any reliable, if not 100% effective ways to curtail those dieting side effects? I'm talking anything from supplements to certain exercises to refeeding. Obviously dieting sucks no matter what and if it was that easy everyone would do it, but every little bit to curb those symptoms would help (and make me feel a little better about trying again). Honestly, thinking about the possibility going back to those times just because I want to lose weight makes me want to cry and not do it, but I'm sick of being weak and out of shape and dumpy too.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I'm sick of being weak and out of shape and dumpy too.

Then get in shape!

There is no reason you can't work on getting in shape while running a caloric deficit.
  • catabolicmind
    Options
    I am working out at the same time, I just don't want to run the risk of a too-low caloric deficit screwing with my hormones and biochemistry again. Does that make any sense? If I'm not actively dieting I'm sure I can still make the same fitness gains, but I assume I'll still be the same size...

ETA: If my post was confusing, the only thing I was asking was how to counter dieting side effects. I am making steps towards working out and fitness, but it's the dieting part that scares me.
  • FitGirlMD
    FitGirlMD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How did you lose it? Did you maintain your weight loss, if not, when did you gain it back? Think long term changes and not crash dieting. A healthy meal plan that revolves around real food and regular exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eating at a reasonable deficit (no more than 10-20% less than your TDEE) helps a lot, especially with energy levels.

Be sure you take your rest days.

And hit your nutrients (including fats and proteins).
  • catabolicmind
    Options
    I lost weight initially using Atkins, transitioning to South Beach and then a combo of South Beach/WAPF. My diet was clean, but my caloric intake was probably WAY low -- like I was hungry but didn't want to eat, and my intake would usually hover around 1000 calories, plus I worked out nearly every day. When enough was enough (weak, tired, no more period) I just gave up and ate. Didn't binge or anything, but I gained around 30 pounds almost immediately, and then another 20-30 over the course of 3 years.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    Well the way I diet is I always progress weekly by just a little bit. so like each week I would cut my daily Cals by 50 or maybe add 2 more mins of cardio. I've always felt good during my cuts. I would also take a short break from dieting if your Cals get too low and eat at maintenance while just working out hard then try again in like 2-4 weeks. that's how I've always done it anyways. This might work for you
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Eat at a reasonable deficit and you shouldn't experience those symptoms. People who experience extreme fatigue related to "dieting" usually aren't eating enough. It's not about losing as fast as you can...it's about eating in a way that will sustain you while also allowing you to lose weight.

and truth...if you do it right..."dieting" doesn't have to suck. ok, lol, sometimes it's gonna suck but it doesn't have to suck all the time or even most of the time.

also...don't look at it as "dieting" look at it as learning good habits that you will keep for the rest of your life.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ETA: If my post was confusing, the only thing I was asking was how to counter dieting side effects. I am making steps towards working out and fitness, but it's the dieting part that scares me.

Regular vigorous exercise will do it. Just make sure you don't have too big a caloric deficit, and it's not going to be a problem. I'm running 10k multiple times a week while "dieting".
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a reasonable deficit. You won't feel like crap or binge if you set a decent amount of calories for yourself daily, eating the foods you like in reasonable amounts and don't exercise until you're exhausted. Weight loss doesn't have to be hard, it's actually quite easy if you take the right approach.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Eating at a reasonable deficit (no more than 10-20% less than your TDEE) helps a lot, especially with energy levels.

this.

just dont drop your calories too low. problem solved.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options

this.

just dont drop your calories too low. problem solved.

Agreed - if you reduce your calories too much you will get too tired, too hungry and that makes it tough to stick to.
  • aylnine
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It sounds like it wasn't even that big of a problem to begin with. When I think about it, when I initially started with Atkins I was definitely eating enough and still losing weight, but when I transitioned to SBD (and I have no idea why I did) and was basically competing with myself to see how little I could eat, I started having major problems.

Haha, oops, I replied on a different account. My bad!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - don't cut back so sharply. Put your numbers in MFP for a 1 pound or 1/2 pound a week loss, log your food and exercise carefully, and eat most of your exercise calories. It's a sustainable program that lets you not only lose the weight, but keep it off.