Do you weigh yourself before or after your workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself too often because your depending on how much water your body is holding at the time, your weight could vary, and it can be demoralizing when you look at the scales. I weigh myself every couple of weeks. I've just got this bad habit of measuring my stomach every few days lol
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't anymore, actually I've been using the tape measure a lot lately, but when I was training for a half marathon I'd weigh before and after my runs. This was so I could see how much I sweat, and adjust my water intake accordingly so the day of the race I knew how much to drink to keep myself hydrated and going. Unfortunately the last water stop was out of water...and cups...and those last 2 miles were a b****. Something to plan for next time.

Anyway. If you want an accurate body weight, I'd say first thing in the morning after using the toilet and before a shower or workout. My theory on the higher after-shower weight is that my hair is still wet and water weighs something.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I do both that way when I input my weight on the machine it's accurate and after to see if I lost too much during my workout. They used to make us do it during camp for football and it became a habit.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning & once a week, if that. We become too obsessed with the number on the scale. We all fluctuate throughout the day.
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your consistent; clothes on or clothes off, time of day, before exercise or after. Personally, I always weigh in the morning before I hit the gym because I drink a lot of water during my workout so I prefer to weigh before. I am also trying to limit myself to one weigh in per week and currently participating in a challenge so that determines my weigh in day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning & once a week, if that. We become too obsessed with the number on the scale. We all fluctuate throughout the day.

We also fluctuate from week to week.

I weigh myself daily to better understand these fluctuations.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning after my potty break before my workout.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Neither. I weigh myself once a month... I prefer to see a general trend and not worry over the 3 lbs of water weight I just gained/lost.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Weigh: never
    Measure: once a week - five different spots
    Hydrostatic BF testing: every three months

Screw the scale.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Since I use the Wii Fit for workouts, I weigh in before with the Body Test.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weigh: never
    Measure: once a week - five different spots
    Hydrostatic BF testing: every three months

Screw the scale.

[snipped ticker with weight numbers]

:huh:
    I only recently totally stopped! I had to wean myself - I was addicted.

Oooh. My ticker. I hadn't thought about it....fixed it!

And I have now "fixed it" in my post.

:flowerforyou:
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I only recently totally stopped! I had to wean myself - I was addicted.

Oooh. My ticker. I hadn't thought about it....fixed it!
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Both? Neither? I weigh myself every morning, go on with the day, then workout after dinner. Then repeat the next day.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, just be consistent. I started weighing myself after morning workout so I just kept that routine. I weigh myself everyday but my Sunday morning number is the one I log. I like to see how my water levels change in regard to what foods I eat. The scale weight doesn't bother me if up because I know at end of the week the math always adds up right for me