So why?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with weight loss for me. I was trying and successfully fixed a whole bunch of bad blood work through diet and exercise. A year ago I had pre-diabetic blood, high LDL, ultra high triglycerides, I smoked 2-3 PAD, and could barely walk around the block.

Today I have completely normal blood work and going out for a 30 mile ride on my bike is no biggie. My weight loss is primarily a bi-product of rocking my nutrition and fitness.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So I don't have another massive heart attack. Ate myself to a huge blockage. Told only 1% survive such a bad heart attack.

My numbers are all good and I no longer have chest pains or shortness of breath.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Fit the clothes in my closet and to feel sexy again...still do just not like I did. I have a few x-rated pics (my husband took) from a few years ago that are amazing and that is my goal.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    So I don't end up like my Mom or her Dad's side of the family. They are all VERY overweight and have many health problems due to that. I watch my Mom and she is a really sad depressing person to be around, and I don't want to be like that. Plus, I also look WAY better than I did before starting out! I'm not a huge outdoor activities person, but I want to be able to know that if I sign up for something like a Spartan race or whatnot, that I'm not going to keel over and die trying to finish it. I have no desire to do marathons or anything like that though, just reasonably fit and strong is my goal :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My motivation has changed over time

At first, it was fear. I was having some slight weight-related issues that could have turned into real health concerns, and I wanted to nip that in the bud.

Next, it was feeling stronger & achieving my personal goals. I was in a great nightly walking routine and flying high off the endorphins from beating my personal best(s).

For awhile, I didn't really have any true motivation. I went through a lot of personal stressors (natural disaster, move, job changes, divorce) and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. Although I just maintained my weight during that year-plus period, it's still remarkable to me as I was sedentary and flush with extra cash (two things that had, in the past, led to rapid gains for me)

When I met my now-husband, I felt challenged in a lot of ways (good). I was used to having an obese & inactive partner with unhealthy habits. He is healthy & fit. My diet wasn't terrible but it definitely needed to adopt some of his good habits and take it up a notch or three.

After adopting new habits and even trying a pescetarian diet, I wasn't seeing the changes I wanted. My husband's male friend spoke of losing 60+ lb from going pescetarian. My best female friend changed her diet after a diabetes diagnosis and started losing weight right away. Those 2 people sparked in me a competitive spirit that led to my finally buying a scale & joining MFP. So at the start, my motivation was mainly competitive.

Once I lost 20-25 lb on MFP, I became a bit taken with the whole idea of transforming myself. When I look into a mirror, sometimes I see the same old me. Other times I look in the mirror and despite the persistent bulges here & there, I see a much slimmer, smaller, seemingly taller body. That excites me and serves as my main motivation now.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I want to hang with the hot, sexy, fashionable people and not look out of place.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    First of all... why do you let other people make you feel like crap??? Screw them! I want to be healthy for me.. and me only - start with that mindset and you might actually reach your goals... don't do it for anyone but yourself!

I work out because #1 I gain way too easy --I do it because I have a lot of family that is very overweight(to those people who use genetics as your excuse... it is a poor one... you can change if you try hard enough:) I do it because I want to see muscle on my abs and arms! I don't want to be a skinny girl with nothing to her... I want to be a fit woman :) I want to feel 100% good in a swim suit, I want to be able to be fit before getting pregnant b/c I am hoping to workout thru my pregnancies :)
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    Anyone is welcome to add me also. I am back at it on MFP need some motivated people!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    For the hot chicks.
  • indigo827
    Options
    Just simply to be healthier. :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    so i can be in the minority.

ETA: also, self image.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i do it for me
    and only me
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm vain and I like being the hottest mom on the block.
  • I do it for the same reasons my boyfriend does it...

being stronger,
    lasting longer,

oh and the pootang.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I want to feel beautiful. Inside and out
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    i want to do Iron Man.

Fixed it for you :wink:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i want to do Iron Man.

Fixed it for you :wink:

cool story bro
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I was sick of seeing that guy I didn't recognize in the mirror
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the Tough Mudder challenge, it was coming to Houston, TX Oct 2013, and I told myself in January that I was going to do it, so I started hitting the gym more frequently, and then a co-worker introduced me to MFP and I started creeping threads, lol reading a lot of posts and saw some of the more experienced members comments on work outs and the types of work-outs and tried them, and honestly after 3 months of seeing a physical change and becoming stronger, I became addicted, now I hit the gym 6 days a week, and look forward to it each time. :wink:
  • brownbeauty2013
    brownbeauty2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My reason is to feel stronger and healthier. I want to definitely look better and get in a bikini one of these days.. lol Like someone else said never do it for anyone else. Do it for you and you alone. Alot of people look at me and say you don't need to lose but I know my body and body fat percentage. So do this to give yourself confidence and know you can do anything you put your mind to. I say the H#LL with what other people think of you, only what you think counts. Always know you can improve something you want about yourself and that is a confidence booster in itself! You can do it!