Full Body Workout

Options
Hey everyone. Got a question?

Currently 157lbs. Goal is a fit 125lbs.

My plan is cardio 3-4x a week. And a full body workout twice a week.
MFP has me set to eat 1200 calories but I'll probably average about 1400 on workout days.

Anyways... I was thinking of doing a variation of Stronglifts 5x5.
I'd be doing this...

Monday. Wednesday. Friday. Saturday. ...... Cardio
Tuesday ... Barbell Row. Squat. Bench Press. Bicep Curls.
Friday ... Squats. Shoulder Press. Dead lifts. Side lateral raises.

My main concern right now is to lose body fat and maintain muscle, I know you can't build muscle on a deficit. So is twice a week enough to conserve muscle while losing??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just lift 3x per week and do the program. You lose body fat with your diet and exercise for fitness. You will get far more benefit from lifting 3x per week and just doing the program as it is designed.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Agree with just do the program as it is written. It's a great beginner program.
  • Ayla121
    Ayla121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You mean with no cardio??
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

No, that's not what I meant.

Lift 3x a week like the program says. Whatever days work for you and just do your cardio on your days off from lifting.

Example:

Mon - SL
    Tues - Cardio
    Weds- SL
    Thurs - Cardio
    Fri - SL
    Sat - Cardio
    Sun - Rest
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Or do the stronglifts program as it is written. Do some cardio as a warm-up. Your body needs rest days.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep trying to progressively increase the load, 2x per week is generally considered enough to maintain strength/muscle. Results will vary based on your nutrition and the frequency/intensity of your cardio
  • RickyPaul100
    Options
    Cardio exercises are the most effective and beneficial exercises for complete body. Every cardio is for complete body parts so we can say that cardio is full body workout. I suggest everyone to do some cardio exercises if you people want to do full body workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Cardio exercises are the most effective and beneficial exercises for complete body. Every cardio is for complete body parts so we can say that cardio is full body workout. I suggest everyone to do some cardio exercises if you people want to do full body workout.

noooooope
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

noooooope
    ^ This.

Strong first post, though.
  • RickyPaul100
    Options
    lakecountybootcamps gym
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

The cardio is completely unnecessary for losing fat and retaining muscle. If you are worried about your heart/lung health, then by all means do some, but it has no actual value in terms of fat loss or body shape.

A calorie deficit is how you burn fat.
    Lifting weights is how you keep the shape you want while you burn fat.
    Cardio is just one way to create a calorie deficit. If your diet is already on-point, you don't need the cardio for fat loss.