HRM and fit bits?

Options
What are these and how to they work? Are they easy to use and do they really accurately measure burned calories? I'm thinking of investing in one but some seem to be expensive.

Replies

• nikki6_2002
    nikki6_2002 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, it does not monitor heart rate but is pretty much a glorified pedometer. It measures movement and calculates based on information that you input how many calories burned.

I like it but it does not fill the shoes of a heart rate monitor and I am now asking Santa for a HRM ;-)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying out a fitbit flex (five days in). So far it has been interesting. It helps me feel more reassured that I am eating enough compared to burning enough. There is some margin of error, but overall, I am pleased with it. I have used a HRM in the past and was really happy with it, but it is effective for the times when you are doing cardio workout. It is not going to be accurate for weight lifting, and daily activities. Long-term success for each of these has yet to be determined, for me.

Long story short: depending on what your purpose is. Perhaps others with more experience can give you more information. :flowerforyou:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in people's answers. I asked for a Fitbit from Santa but think the HRM would be better. However, I don't want to wear the bulky HRM because I want to wear at work too.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A HRM is designed to be worn during your cardio workout. A Fitbit is designed to be worn the other 23 hours of the day (or if you're a runner, dancer or walker, it estimates well for all 24).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of posts like this. If you do a search, you'll find lots of useful opinions.