Why is this time different?

Options
2»

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm making things different in my life now with Personal Development. Different books (on dvd while driving) motivational items, changing my Internal Thinking (THIS IS HUGE) that I CAN do it and why NOT me. Oh the old, personal put-downs happen first (both weight and other things in life) but I'm pushing back and creating a Better Me overall.

Join in!!! I know you CAN too !
    Nancy
  • JakiDee
    JakiDee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This time is different because I am not doing it to look "better. I am doing it to feel better.
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me these might be the reasons it's working. I am refusing to let things get in the way. I am doing it smarter and slower than ever before. This is my first time in my weight loss history (a very long one) that I have recorded steady downs every single week. I have many good friends here that cheer me on and I LOVE seeing them succeed.
    Just NEVER give up on yourself - you are the only one that can do this and go as much as possible to the Success Stories board
    they inspire me - I want to be one of those people someday (I hope I learn how to post pictures by then :laugh: )
    I am worth this work and so are you - one of my new friends inspired me with a great mantra yesterday. Even if you eat something
    that you "feel" you shouldn't LOG it. So EAT IT - LOG IT!!!
    Cheers to your success.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Every day I have to remind myself that this is different because I'm changing the way I eat and the way I exercise. I'm eating the right portions, I need to track it for my own well-being and fast food is a treat not the norm (that last one is especially hard because I have an 8 year son who is blessed with an awesome metabolism even for 8 years old so he of course wants fast food, luckily he also likes his veggies).

The mind isn't as smart as we'd all like to think. Find your mantra (the one that makes this time different) and stick with it. Tell yourself out loud that mantra at least every morning and every night. I've found that after 30 days of repeating the mantra morning and night, I've tricked my mind and I believe it (I don't know when along that 30 days journey it actually happens but after 30 days, it's happened). I'm actually currently working on this for attitude. Retraining myself to answer the question "How are you doing?" with "GREAT!" instead of "Fine" or "Okay". Amazing what that "GREAT!" attitude will do for you and where you're going. It's the same for overcoming the doubt.

My next one will be finding the right mantra for eating and/or exercise. I figured I needed the attitude adjustment more right now.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!
    BE STRONG AND CONQUER
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Self doubt? Not so much for me as self-sabotage.

If I had to guess, I'd say that failure in diet and failure in exercise are similar in my own personal history in fundamentalist churches and failures in sin. "The best way to get rid of temptation is to give in to it."

The moment I saw that my sedentary lifestyle, my poor diet choices, and a veritable potpourri of self-destructive behavior was killing me, I gained a renewed sense of self-responsibility. And when you start positively addressing responsibility to yourself, little things like self-respect and self worth start taking root and blossoming, because you started taking out the weeds of self-doubt, self-loathing, and self-destruction.

For some of us starting down this path in middle age, we were probably like addicts who needed to hit rock bottom first.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    The definition of insanity is said to be doing the same thing over and over while expecting the same result.

What are you going to do differently this time? Instead of dieting, this time I have decided to make some permanent changes.

I am avoiding processed foods, keeping track of calories (because it's SO easy to over eat and drink too many calories), and moving more.

You have to decide and determine if it is going to be different this time. It's completely up to you. Make permanent, sustainable changes! Good luck to you- you can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • KBP1025
    KBP1025 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why is this time different? Because before, if I worked really hard and gained a pound, I would of gotten frustrated and gave up. Now I know it's normal and weight loss is weird and it's up and down and as long as the general trend is going down, I'm good.

Before, I would of freaked by invitations to parties, eating out at "bad" restaurants and told myself that I have too many social obligations going on that it would hinder weight loss. Now, I understand that I can go out and enjoy myself (in moderation) and get back to it at the next meal or day. I don't have to let 1 meal or party completely derail me. I just keep going.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, I weighted 165.5, the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I weighed 168. Before, I would of thrown in the towel. But this time I didn't. This time I knew to get back up and get back to it. The following Sunday? 162.5! I would of missed that. Before, I would of thrown the towel in when the scale moved up to 168 and I would of slowly gained weight again. But this time? Nope, I'm pushing for 50 lbs loss for Christmas!
  • bjohnsonwestern
    bjohnsonwestern Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did several things that made this weight loss journey different:

First- I went to the doctor and had a complete blood work up. I was shocked when I discovered my cholesterol numbers and knew I had to do something. Now my doctor is working with me on my path to better health.

The second was the hardest and most effective thing I have ever done. I told my husband how much I weighed- 250 lb. I was so humiliated when I saw that number on the scale and was terrified to let the truth be known. My husband has always been supportive of me and has loved me at every weight I have been during our marriage. This time I knew I could not do it alone....I had to tell him so he would help me keep the goodies out of the house. It was so liberating to share my weight with him. For the first tie in my life, I had a partner in this and he has helped me through every pound lost.

The next thing I did was to start recording my food on MFP. For the first 2 weeks, I simply recorded every bit of food and did not diet. I was shocked by the poor nutritional food choices I was making and how my snacking added so many calories. I was able to make healthier choices and the diary keeps me focused. Weight watchers did not have the same effect for me, as unlimited fruits and veggies were still adding up to some major calories. I love fruit and was eating way too much on WW.

The last thing I added was also humiliating to some degree- EXERCISE. When I first started I could only do 5 minutes on the treadmill. Each week, I added one more exercise goal. Sometimes it was as simple as adding one more minute to the treadmill. I purchased a fitbit in July and that has really motivated me to get in my daily steps and stairs. Now I go to the gym at least 3 days per week and walk on the treadmill every single day.

My fitness journey started January 2013 and to date I have lost 72 pounds. I have 28 more to go but the journey will never be over. I will always have to watch what I eat and exercise will continue to be a daily event, but I feel healthier and stronger which is a huge motivator.

You can do this- one step at a time---one decision at a time----learning from success and failure----on to a better and fitter you!!!!
  • KBP1025
    KBP1025 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did several things that made this weight loss journey different:

First- I went to the doctor and had a complete blood work up. I was shocked when I discovered my cholesterol numbers and knew I had to do something. Now my doctor is working with me on my path to better health.

The second was the hardest and most effective thing I have ever done. I told my husband how much I weighed- 250 lb. I was so humiliated when I saw that number on the scale and was terrified to let the truth be known. My husband has always been supportive of me and has loved me at every weight I have been during our marriage. This time I knew I could not do it alone....I had to tell him so he would help me keep the goodies out of the house. It was so liberating to share my weight with him. For the first tie in my life, I had a partner in this and he has helped me through every pound lost.

The next thing I did was to start recording my food on MFP. For the first 2 weeks, I simply recorded every bit of food and did not diet. I was shocked by the poor nutritional food choices I was making and how my snacking added so many calories. I was able to make healthier choices and the diary keeps me focused. Weight watchers did not have the same effect for me, as unlimited fruits and veggies were still adding up to some major calories. I love fruit and was eating way too much on WW.

The last thing I added was also humiliating to some degree- EXERCISE. When I first started I could only do 5 minutes on the treadmill. Each week, I added one more exercise goal. Sometimes it was as simple as adding one more minute to the treadmill. I purchased a fitbit in July and that has really motivated me to get in my daily steps and stairs. Now I go to the gym at least 3 days per week and walk on the treadmill every single day.

My fitness journey started January 2013 and to date I have lost 72 pounds. I have 28 more to go but the journey will never be over. I will always have to watch what I eat and exercise will continue to be a daily event, but I feel healthier and stronger which is a huge motivator.

You can do this- one step at a time---one decision at a time----learning from success and failure----on to a better and fitter you!!!!
  • jemmina86
    Options
    Last time I got down to my goal weight through the heart break diet - living by myself existing on wine, coffee, cigarettes, drowning in my own depression and tears. Not an intentional weight loss at all, and obviously incredibly unhealthy but I guess the silver lining was that once I got out of my cloud of misery I had this trim little body that just gave me more confidence than I'd had in years. I MISS that feeling like crazy.

This time around I've been thinking back to that time when I just felt so confident and happy in my own body. When you feel beautiful in yourself I think that shines through. I'm determined to get back that feeling with hard work, and I think this will add even more to my confidence because I've worked hard for it. This time I'm not going to underestimate my determination!
  • jemmina86
    Options
    Recording your food intake BEFORE you start dieting is a brilliant idea! I think seeing those numbers would be such an eye opener! I plan to do this if I fall off the wagon to shock me back on track ( hopefully it doesn't come to this though).