choking down protein shakes

Options
10manda86
10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
Hi, I'm not a fan of protein shakes, however I feel they are the best pick me up after s workout...
I use to just mix it and skull it and get it over and done with!
But I found a way to make the shake so that it is more enjoyable and kinds tricks my brain into thinking it is something it isn't...
Its simple and here it is...
Rather than milk and powder and a skater....
I add ice and 20 cals of chocolate sauce (measured to a gram!) and blend it so that it is thick, and magic, my brain thinks I'm drinking a frappe... add some coffee and there we have a coffee kick frappe...

Replies

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Try Almond milk, it also depends what protein powder you are using. Some are very chalky and that could be your problem. I am using ISO Sensation and I find that it is one of the best tasting that I have had.
  • ffargynnig
    ffargynnig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you tried plant fusion? It's not chalky at all and blends smooth with water in a blender bottle.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Be creative with your shakes, I haven't had a shake where it was just powder and water/milk in a longgg time.

I usually put in my blender:

1/1/2 or 2 scopes of whey
    Banana
    Frozen blu/rasberries
    Dried Oats
    Almonds
    Instant coffee grinds
    Haft milk, haft water

I would chose protein shake over hard food anyday if i could, but that's just me =]

*oh and I forgot, try bsn syntha-6 whey isolate if you're into creamier texture. It's a great whey
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I never thought of chocolate sauce! I try to get mine thick/creamy like Boost Juice does but I haven't succeeded (yet).
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I never thought of chocolate sauce! I try to get mine thick/creamy like Boost Juice does but I haven't succeeded (yet).

Try to add some xanthan gum, works wonders :)
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and/or bananas mask the gross taste for me (this is for a natural chocolate whey drink). I used to have a soy whey in vanilla and I found the taste better
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you arent mixing your protein powder in water and because it tastes like crap when you do.....then you are buying the wrong protein powder.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If your protein shake tastes bad, you bought the wrong one.

Optimum Nutrition = effing delicious.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit in mine. Only adds a few calories, and tastes great. I also do a mix of half whey powder and half casein. With the fruit and casein, you can use water, and still get a great texture. I've also done a banana and some PB2 powdered peanut butter.

The powder it self makes a huge difference in taste. I use the stuff from Optimal Nutrition. I get the Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey in chocolate and vanilla, and their Gold Standard 100% Casein in chocolate peanut butter, and cookies and cream.

I also use Gaspari Nutrition's MyoFusion Elite in Peanut Butter Cookie Dough. It's a blended protein, and mixes fine with water in a shaker bottle and tastes great.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

1 scoop of protein (30 g in mine)
    1 tbsp flax
    3/4 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
    1 banana
    1 tbsp almond butter
    1 piece of dark chocolate (1 square, not bar)
    1 hot cocoa mix (or sugar free chocolate syrup depending on calorie/sugar requirements)
    2 cups of ice

There's no choking this shake down, you'll want more.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    3 Pitta bread and a small Korma-65g protein. Too much protein and your liver works overtime. Be kind to your liver, it does a massive job, looking after your body every day. Just saying.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yum. Thanks for the extra recipes folks. My protein powders are fine with just water, but the recipes provided above look pretty yummy. Will have to give them a try this weekend!!
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I use progenex recovery Belgium chocolate. It's really good. I used to mix it with water, now I use coconut milk, get some of those MCFA, and sometimes I'll throw in a tablespoon of chia seeds and flax oil to boost my omegas while I'm at it. Tastes pretty good...
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Came here to mention Optimum Nutrition. I see it's already been covered.

Note: You can mix it in plain greek yogurt, pancake batter, etc.

=============================

I hear Trutein tastes awesome as well, but I've never had it.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Muscle Pharm's Cookies and Cream is freakin delicious. It taste like dessert. I also like to mix protein powder with different liquids to spice things up. Some alternates include:

Iced Coffe or espressso and some ice.
    Coconut water with the fruit juice.
    Almond Milk
    Coconut Milk

Just play around with it. I've also found adding a few drops of different flavorings help too. Like the kind you get in the baking isle like coconut, caramel, hazelnut whatever you want and they're calorie free.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla whey powder & add 1 Tbl of instant chocolate dry pudding mix.Maybe 1/2of a banana,water & ice.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    just made one the other day with a leftover can of pumpkin...

spoonful of pumpkin
    cinnamon
    1 packet of stevia
    scoop of vanilla protien
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    couple ice cubes
  • zcarpenter91
    zcarpenter91 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just like to keep it simple

2 Scoops of whey
    2-3 cups of mik
    1 Medium banana
    1 - 2 tablespoons of peanut butter

Tastes delicious to me :)
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If your protein shake tastes bad, you bought the wrong one.

Optimum Nutrition = effing delicious.

This.

But Optimum Nutrition is gross.
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I hear Trutein tastes awesome as well, but I've never had it.

Only tried Chocolate Peanut butter cup but its delicious.