Protein, Fat, Carbs, Sugar, etc..

Options
2»

Replies

• JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugars from fruit. Those will not hurt you. Its the processed sugars you should keep an eye on..but don't really worry about those. A calorie is a calorie. Focus more on protein/carbs/fats/fiber. As long as you're getting those you will do great!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calories of another. Get your sugar down to 10 percent and you WILL see and feel immediate results.

You should not consume more than 30 grams of sugar, all sugar. Your protein, fat and Carbs need to be set based on several different factors that are specific to you. If you need help, you can message me

A CALORIE OF ONE FOOD IS NOT THE SAME AS ANOTHER FOOD BECAUSE:

Carbohydrates contain glucose, which every cell in your body uses for energy. Fructose which is in sugar and sugar is added to most processed foods (hidden) is processed in the liver and is converted to fat and drives diabetes and a whole host of chronic diseases! Fructose (sugar) is extremely DANGEROUS and will prevent you for losing weight and prevent you from maintaining desired weight.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/reasons-why-all-calories-are-not-the-same/#ixzz2nFJw6m6M

Lustig has been thoroughly debunked!
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    track fiber to be sure you are getting plenty.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth between sodium and iron (instead of sugar). I seem to swell easily from the salt and I had some low iron problems after a surgery 2 yrs ago, and found I need to watch my iron intake.

Right now, I am ONLY tracking protein and calories.
    I was struggling with protein this fall, so it,s my only focus for now
  • 3foldchord
    Options

A CALORIE OF ONE FOOD IS NOT THE SAME AS ANOTHER FOOD BECAUSE:

Carbohydrates contain glucose, which every cell in your body uses for energy. Fructose which is in sugar and sugar is added to most processed foods (hidden) is processed in the liver and is converted to fat and drives diabetes and a whole host of chronic diseases! Fructose (sugar) is extremely DANGEROUS and will prevent you for losing weight and prevent you from maintaining desired weight.

I guess everyone is different. I eat lots of fruit/sugars and lost my weight just fine and I am keeping it off.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I actually replaced mine with calcium; I figure as I get older it is probably a good idea to make sure I am hitting that. I know women especially need to worry about osteoporosis, so if I make hitting the rda a target maybe I will avoid that.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would also track fibre - I have 40-50g a day, I think I'd aim for at least 30.

Also don't worry too much about your calories, go on your macros instead. Try and use a different program to work those out, I find MFP to be really inaccurate for suggested macro breakdowns.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes I got told that but I want to replace it with something, what should it be?

I vote Fiber
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Track Protein , carbs , fats and fiber/sodium

This :)
  • Nilasaurus
    Nilasaurus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I replaced my sugar for the same reason. And I chose Potassium. :)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You don't have to replace it with anything if you take it off. You can if you want, but I just track calories and macros now.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You can always choose cholesterol also if you eat high cholesterol food alot.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    You don't have to replace it with anything if you take it off. You can if you want, but I just track calories and macros now.

true.

I only track Calories and Protein now.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)
    I'm an 18 year old girl and I've been on MFP for just over a month now. My main aim is to get healthy as I got really sick in September and can't exercise much until Feb, although I do a little here and there.
    My question is, next to the calorie amounts I have fat, protein, carbs, sodium and sugar. My sugar amount is always high because I eat a lot of fruit so I was wondering if I should choose different focus point. What should I be tracking the most?

If there is any question of whether or not too much sugar will prevent you from losing weight and cause you to gain, just reduce it to 30 grams and see what happens... You WILL NOT have to wait long to see and feel the results. Our bodies (the liver ) are only equipped to process small amounts of sugar, including fruit.....
  • rogerou812
    Options
    The main thing I do is keep fats low and fiber high with trying to stay inside my calories I have did a low fat and high fiber diet before and it worked difference this time I am also counting calories and I didn't the other way my fats 30 or les and fiber 20 plus each day. my sugar intake always goes over what in my allotment but doesn't seem to mater for me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The main thing I do is keep fats low and fiber high with trying to stay inside my calories I have did a low fat and high fiber diet before and it worked difference this time I am also counting calories and I didn't the other way my fats 30 or les and fiber 20 plus each day. my sugar intake always goes over what in my allotment but doesn't seem to mater for me.

I wouldn't recommend a low fat diet, especially for women. You need a certain amount of fat to maintain a healthy body. So much of your bodily functions rely on fat, and not eating enough can have devastating effects!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)
    I'm an 18 year old girl and I've been on MFP for just over a month now. My main aim is to get healthy as I got really sick in September and can't exercise much until Feb, although I do a little here and there.
    My question is, next to the calorie amounts I have fat, protein, carbs, sodium and sugar. My sugar amount is always high because I eat a lot of fruit so I was wondering if I should choose different focus point. What should I be tracking the most?

If there is any question of whether or not too much sugar will prevent you from losing weight and cause you to gain, just reduce it to 30 grams and see what happens... You WILL NOT have to wait long to see and feel the results. Our bodies (the liver ) are only equipped to process small amounts of sugar, including fruit.....

Well maybe you want to try reading the OPs post. She is not concerned with weight loss.

The rest of your post is total nonsense. So, why are you posting in this thread again?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommend a low fat diet, especially for women. You need a certain amount of fat to maintain a healthy body. So much of your bodily functions rely on fat, and not eating enough can have devastating effects!

Agreed. Adequate fats are critical for proper hormonal function.

OP, as a general target, protein at .8 grams per lb of lean body mass (total weight minus fat), set fats at .35 to .4 grams per lb of body weight with around 30% coming from saturated fats and carbs for the rest. I measure fiber and potassium. I get plenty of sodium but not always enough potassium and when out of balance, I retain water weight.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options

I love that the people with the most radical views .. like those above all have closed profiles. Coincidence ... I think not.