Working Grave yard, over night or the awake shift

Options
so i work the awake shift and eating is my number 1 problem. i work from 1030pm to 730 am and when to eat always throws me off and when i get hungry is also a burrden around 4am im starved then about 8am im hungry again and i am trying to find a way to train my eating habbits to work with my schedule and my days off are a whole nother issue and getting off track and so on.....

So my question is to everyone who has worked overnight what has seem to work for and your success on your weightloss journey???

Replies

• britteliz1
    britteliz1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I bring lots of snacks with me. It gets easier after awhile. Right now, I've been pulling twelve hour shifts for the last three weeks straight and the key is have food on hand.

If you're hungry, eat. Just choose lower calorie alternatives, or make sure you get enough protein to help you feel fuller longer. Drink plenty of water!

The key here isn't to go without food. It's just to make better choices!
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Im still trying to figure out whats best for me. I log midnight to midnight. I usually eat around midnight, then again around 3, workout, then a little snack before I sleep. But most days I go from 3am till 6pm without eating...which I think has messed with my sugar.
  • alexandraaoliver
    Options
    I work night shift 7p-730a or 11p-730a. I eat around 0300 a lunch like meal. Then when I get home I eat breakfast before going to bed and dinner with my family when I wake up. I have been losing about 2 pds a week for the past 110 days. I also make sure to bring lots of healthy snacks to work.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I just did a topic like this earlier today lol
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I work swing shift with 2 overnight shifts and 2 afternoon shifts and one day shift. When I am working night shift I tend to like to snack instead of eatting a meal. I prefer to eat with my wife at home. So i pack plenty of healthier snacks and much my way through my shift. One of my standby snacks is Celery with Bolthouse farms Blue cheese dressing(45cal) , I can much on tons of that for very few calories, Baby carrots is another one. Special K snacks are all good. Plus of course plenty of Coffee to keep me awake. This is what works for me but might or might not work for you. Good luck.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I bring lots of snacks with me. It gets easier after awhile. Right now, I've been pulling twelve hour shifts for the last three weeks straight and the key is have food on hand.

If you're hungry, eat. Just choose lower calorie alternatives, or make sure you get enough protein to help you feel fuller longer. Drink plenty of water!

The key here isn't to go without food. It's just to make better choices!

This was exactly what I was about to say (except for the twelve hour shifts, yuck)

Lots of healthy snacks, berries, grapes, yogurt, nuts, cottage cheese.

Meals heavy in protein and fat to help you feel fuller for longer.

And a lot of water. If I'm wanting to snack I drink a bit of water first and sometimes the craving passes.
  • g1lmour
    Options
    I work nights

What I do, is wake up and eat breakfast. Then around 2am - 3am whenever I feel hungry again I'll eat either my dinner or my lunch, then I'll get my final meal, dinner or lunch about an hour before going home.

Seems to work for me, times always vary as I eat when I start getting hungry, rather than at set times.

Tip: drink plenty of water if you feel constantly hungry, removes the need to snack for me
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I work 12-hours..... 6pm-6am.

I usually eat sometime after I wake up.....between 2pm-4pm. Something small.
    Then after getting to work, I'll eat a full meal...around 7pm-9pm.

That usually lasts me til about 2am-3am. Then I'll have another meal.

And sometimes a snack after that before I get off work at 6am.

I don't eat specifically at set times. This is just when my body seems to get hungry when working graveyards.
    I have learned to keep food handy. And to bring my own food if I don't want to pig out on junk that's here at the PD.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've worked night shift for many years.
    As I got older I found eating at night didn't agree with me.
    When I go home in the morning I may eat a breakfast and then go to bed.
    I eat a meal when I wake in the afternoon, sometimes a small lunch style meal, sometimes more like a breakfast/snack.
    I eat the evening meal that everyone else has - this is my largest meal of the day. I usually have a snack before going to work at 2200hrs (museli bar)
    At work I don't get hungary until very late in the morning. I occasionally have a snack in the middle of the night if I get hungry, but I seldom do. Most nights I don't eat at work as this gave me indigestion.
    My problem day is going on days off, I ge tired and hungry and could easily overeat instead of just having a sleep.
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @clarkeje1 i checked out that blog its some good advice on there...

and you guys have great advice to i going to try the healthy snacking like fruits and veggies to curb my addiction to snack,

i work at a group home and they have a pantry full of chips and cookies etc. and i for the most part do deny those things but sometimes i indulge in the midmorning chips so i may need to just trade in the chips for grapes or something like that lol:laugh:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Coffee is helping me today. Keeping me awake plus keeping me full and not a lot of calories even with cream and sugar
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    so i work the awake shift and eating is my number 1 problem. i work from 1030pm to 730 am and when to eat always throws me off and when i get hungry is also a burrden around 4am im starved then about 8am im hungry again and i am trying to find a way to train my eating habbits to work with my schedule and my days off are a whole nother issue and getting off track and so on.....

So my question is to everyone who has worked overnight what has seem to work for and your success on your weightloss journey???

I work at night to, 8pm to 6 am, its not when you eat its what you eat. I allow my self 3 small meals and lots of fruit for snacks. usually a 400cal meal, a 300 cal meal and a 200cal meal. Then some clementines and a banana
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I work 10pm-6am. I am a grazer, so I bring lots of cut up veggies for snacking on, and a "meal" to have at meal time.

I log from the time I get up (usually 4:30pm) until the time I go to sleep (usually 9am) as one day, and I log it all under 1 meal because I can;t be bothered to split it into meals.
  • beccasgarden
    Options
    I work midnight to 8am. I get up at 10:45 ish- eat my first meal around 11:20pm ( which consists of 25% of my daily carbs so I am full longer. Then around 3 am- or when hungry and able I eat another meal. 6:30 am is my pre-workout- apples, almonds or shake. Gym and BCAA at 8am. Post meal around 10am. usually protein shake or protein pancake. Most of my carbs are in me now so I am pretty full thru my night. I always pack healthy snacks and meals so i am not as tempted at work to eat treats but it does happen time to time
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I work midnight to 8am. I get up at 10:45 ish- eat my first meal around 11:20pm ( which consists of 25% of my daily carbs so I am full longer. Then around 3 am- or when hungry and able I eat another meal. 6:30 am is my pre-workout- apples, almonds or shake. Gym and BCAA at 8am. Post meal around 10am. usually protein shake or protein pancake. Most of my carbs are in me now so I am pretty full thru my night. I always pack healthy snacks and meals so i am not as tempted at work to eat treats but it does happen time to time

i always have to sleep before i workout or else my workout will be complete BS so more power to you for that
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!