Addicted to sugar

Options
Is there such a thing as being addicted to sugar?

I can't go a day without chocolate/sweets/hot chocolate. It plays on my mind until I have something. Anything.

How much of this is physiological? Or is it all psychological?

I need help. I feel unwell by my unhealthy food choices. My family history include diabetes so I know how bad my choices really are but can't stop.

:-(

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have chocolate pretty much every day, it hasnt affected my weight loss... IIFYM!
  • hibou_89
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't know much about physiology, but what I know from my own experience is that more you have it, more you want it. I try to keep my sweets intake for social events. Otherwise, I try to not have them though it it sometimes hard as I am a student and sugar is what your brain asks for when you study for an extended period of time. I stopped buying cookies and chocolate so I can't have them continuously. It was hard for like a week and now I just don't feel right when I have sugar. But it is truly hard to let them go, I agree! For hot chocolate, as I am a big fan of dark chocolate, I sometimes make it with cocoa, nutmeg and a tiny pinch of brown sugar. Like this it is not soooo sweet and you don't crave for more sugar after.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I think yes. I had overzealous relatives that wouldn't let their kids eat sugar because they view it as a drug. I have had/probably still have addiction to sugar.

I eat dates now they satifsfy my sugar cravings.

When I stopped eating bread it also made it easier to not "need" sugar so much anymore.

So yes I do think so since I've had issues with sugar, it's how I got fat. I understand people can lose weight and eat sugar and am not disagreeing with that. For me though I have to cut it out so no cookies, no cakes not sugary stuff if possible.

Don't know if this helps or not.
  • Jobonn1
    Options
    In the South we have a LOT of sweet tea. This is so addictive so I know exactly what you are saying.
    My husband and I eat the non-sugar sweets when we need to have the chocolate.
    Try Agave as a sweetener, it works. I feel that we want sugar too much in our diets and need to get completely away from them.
    It added about 50 lbs on me. Bad!
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There are many studied that show that sugar is addicting. It triggers the same part of the brain that is triggered when a drug addict sees drugs. They have studied the behavior of mice who were fed sugar compared to those who were not. The mice fed sugar would willingly put themselves in danger to reach sugar.
  • Daniazi
    Options
    me too :(
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hello Mama Jess

Please look at the labels on the sweet things you are tempted to have. I react to vanilla, and fruit and nuts etc this is consistent with Salicylate Sensitivity. Many foods are loaded with this natural chemical which in nature is designed to protect plants from moulds and mildews it is found in the skins of many "good fruits" but is toxic to us humans though some of us have a greater or lesser tolerance to it. I am 64 now and I have a quality of life which I was told I would never have. There is a website for this problem, search for, Salicylate Sensitivity especially if you have other health issues as well as weight. You could also try "Food can make you ill" this covers other food related issues.

Anyone is welcome to contact me if I can be of any assistance. Because this is a very complicated subject.

All the very best
  • smithbeck2
    smithbeck2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try really hard every now and then to give it up for at least week. Once I haven't had it in a while I stop craving it. I also leave grapes in a bowl on the counter and grab a few every time I want something sweet. That seems to help. Sweets are really hard to give up!
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread.

I actually noticed today that I am addicted to sugar. I'll willingly give up 'good' foods just to get my 'fix' (omg, seriously sounding like a druggie here!).

I noticed though that I'm starting to notice bad side effects. I'm now at a normal, healthy weight, but if I eat too much sugar, I end up falling asleep an hour later and waking up in a sweat. I'm guessing that I'm having diabetic type symptoms when I eat sugar, yet I've been tested and am not diabetic.

Anyone successfully 'kick the habit'? I'm guessing I just have to go cold turkey - get rid of all the sugar. I think I might send it all to my husband's work for the boys to eat, haha.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You know what I notice? People claim to be addicted to sugar and then switch to fruit to combat said addiction, as if apples and dates don't have more sugar than a cookie? That's like saying your addicted to alcohol and switching to vodka from Mike's hard lemonade. You think cause there's fiber or vitamins the sugar is "special" or doesn't count? Or is it just less calories so you can get your sweet fix with less guilt burning away at you?

If I take a multi and fiber drink with my snickers does that change the snickers into health food?
  • mamajess242
    mamajess242 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you kicked it yet? I haven't. But am going to try in earnest as of now. Add me if you want to support each other.

Bumping this thread.

I actually noticed today that I am addicted to sugar. I'll willingly give up 'good' foods just to get my 'fix' (omg, seriously sounding like a druggie here!).

I noticed though that I'm starting to notice bad side effects. I'm now at a normal, healthy weight, but if I eat too much sugar, I end up falling asleep an hour later and waking up in a sweat. I'm guessing that I'm having diabetic type symptoms when I eat sugar, yet I've been tested and am not diabetic.

Anyone successfully 'kick the habit'? I'm guessing I just have to go cold turkey - get rid of all the sugar. I think I might send it all to my husband's work for the boys to eat, haha.