Going to do it right this time

Options
Hi all. I joined three days ago. My wife did, too. We're keeping up on our iPhones. What a wonderful tool MyFitnessPal is. We've both lost 100 pounds before, going from way overweight back down to the weight we were when we were in our teens and 20s. But we did it with an eating plan that simply was not sustainable. Following L5 spinal fusion, my neurosurgeon said I needed to lose weight for the fusion to do its thing. Seven months post-fusion, the fusion is strong, but the level above is degrading and may need surgery. The reason? My big belly has moved the stress from the now-strengthened L5 to above, and now he says it's no longer a suggestion. It's a warning. If I don't lose the weight, just walking around daily will cause enough strain on the level above that I will have to have the exact same surgery on that area. Don't want to go through with that again. My wife and I both turned 40 this year. We have two kids (a high school senior and a first-grader). Yeah, big split in age. We want to be around for them. We both have health problems directly related to our weight (high BP, high cholesterol, etc.). My BMI is 38.5. MyFitnessPal has given me a tool in my hand to be more aware of what I am putting in my body and smarter about the choices I make each day, with both nutrition and exercise. I feel I have the motivation. Now I have the perfect tool to guide me.

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome :drinker:

It sounds like you have a terrific motivation and support on your side. We are here for you as well. Best of luck, we are glad to have you.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    welcome
    this is a great site with lots of motivation and encouragement. You can do it, just dont give up. track you food and exercise daily. And come here when you need extra encouragement or help