Why am I gaining weight!

Options
So last Monday I started seeing a personal trainer and weighed in at 153 so far I have only met with her twice but went to a spin class and did some HIIT training a couple times this past weekend. I weighted myself this morning and weighed 158! Why am I gaining so much weight so quickly???? I don't feel like I am eating any more than I usually do.

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Your diary is empty, so unless you are logging someplace else, you have no idea if you're eating the right amount.

In this case though....the extra pounds might be bc beginning a new exercise routine often leads to a few pounds of water retention.

But as I said, if you're not logging your food you're missing the biggest part of the equation.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Without tracking your food consistently and accurately (weigh/measure), there really is no way to say for sure. Could just be water weight (homrones, too much sodium) or maybe you've eaten more than you think.

If the trainer is having you do new and more intense things, it could be extra water and glycogen stores effecting your weight. Anytime you start exercising or increase the intensity of your workouts (more weight, faster, farther, etc) your muscles sustain microtears and the tissues retain water and glycogen to help with healing. It's sort of like how your ankle swells when you twist it but not as obvious as it's spread out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your diary is empty, so unless you are logging someplace else, you have no idea if you're eating the right amount.

In this case though....the extra pounds might be bc beginning a new exercise routine often leads to a few pounds of water retention.

But as I said, if you're not logging your food you're missing the biggest part of the equation.

all of this!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

all of this!

Yep.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I am eating any more than I usually do.

You are on a food logging website - if you are using this correctly, you will know if you are eating more than usual.
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I don't log my food on here because I don't lose weight when I do so why bother. I lose weight when I make the right decisions like I have been. I wasn't looking for reasons why I wasn't losing I was wanting to figure out why I have gained 5 pounds in a week without changing my eating habits and exercising more. Thank you to those who answered my intended question.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food on here because I don't lose weight when I do so why bother. I lose weight when I make the right decisions like I have been. I wasn't looking for reasons why I wasn't losing I was wanting to figure out why I have gained 5 pounds in a week without changing my eating habits and exercising more. Thank you to those who answered my intended question.

This made me lol!

TOM?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Everyone who answered you answered your intended question. It could be water weight from the new exercise routine or you could be eating too much. Either could be the cause of your weight gain (as well as being the reason you aren't losing weight - the two aren't mutually exclusive questions).

Anyone, I'm sorry that you didn't like the answers you got. Best of luck going forward! :flowerforyou:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost weight in the past when you logged, then you were doing something wrong - either not logging everything correctly or miscalculating your TDEE.

In terms of now- I agree it could be water retention but was it on different scales? Was it the same time of day and wearing the same clothes? Had you just been to the loo in both cases.

You really need to log - people often subconsciously think that if they exercise, they can eat more- and then they over compensate.