Funny "tricks" YOU have found to speed/help your weightloss

Options
O.k. most of us know about BMR and TDEE and the idea of "calories in, calories out." But while we may believe all that is the total story, the thing is that we, as individuals, often OBSERVE that other things can affect weight loss/weight gain a bit also; sluggish digestion and constipation; stress/cortisol release; things you think have affected your metabolism, eating smaller meals, eating bigger meals, eating spicy meals, doing yoga instead of 30 day shred, doing 30 day shred instead of yoga, whatever. For instance, I don't know why, but when I STOPPED exercising for a month, I lost weight more quickly. This doesn't fit the theories, but I cannot deny that it happened. Other people may say "I increased my protein," or "I stood on my head for an hour a day," or "I only eat pineapple before 1:33 p.m. on even days of the month." I don't care how crazy it is, tell me your story, and how much effect it had for you.

I want to hear your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, not anything quoted from a website, nothing from an angry blog rant, I don't need any more information about TDEE! I've already read all that stuff. But tell me some good old "tricks" that YOU stand by for YOUR weight loss. I want some 100% completely UNSCIENTIFIC, scientifically UNDOCUMENTED "anecdotes" as to things YOU found helped your weight loss. They probably won't work for the next guy, but I wanna hear 'em. Please share.

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Water. When I drink 10+ cups of water a day, I lose weight. If I drink other things instead, or just dehydrate myself, I don't see the loss on the scale that I do when drinking water.
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm anxious to read the responses... bump for later

Most days, my weight loss/gain is all over the charts however I'm still trending downwards slowly but surely
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    O.k. most of us know about BMR and TDEE and the idea of "calories in, calories out." But while we may believe all that is the total story, the thing is that we, as individuals, often OBSERVE that other things can affect weight loss/weight gain a bit also; sluggish digestion and constipation; stress/cortisol release; things you think have affected your metabolism, eating smaller meals, eating bigger meals, eating spicy meals, doing yoga instead of 30 day shred, doing 30 day shred instead of yoga, whatever. For instance, I don't know why, but when I STOPPED exercising for a month, I lost weight more quickly. This doesn't fit the theories, but I cannot deny that it happened. Other people may say "I increased my protein," or "I stood on my head for an hour a day," or "I only eat pineapple before 1:33 p.m. on even days of the month." I don't care how crazy it is, tell me your story, and how much effect it had for you.

I want to hear your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, not anything quoted from a website, nothing from an angry blog rant, I don't need any more information about TDEE! I've already read all that stuff. But tell me some good old "tricks" that YOU stand by for YOUR weight loss. I want some 100% completely UNSCIENTIFIC, scientifically UNDOCUMENTED "anecdotes" as to things YOU found helped your weight loss. They probably won't work for the next guy, but I wanna hear 'em. Please share.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

And if you actually, I don't know focused on body comp vs a number on the scale, then maybe you'd see how silly this is
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    good old low carb for me! sad to say it but i have a medical condition that makes me insulin resistant and this seems to work for me!, plus drinking tons of water also helps, mught be that i spend so much timme peeing i am not eating!!
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've lightened up my exercise and lost more weight. I just do intensity over hours at the gym, so I do about 3 to 6 hours at the gym. I keep my bread intake down because otherwise I get constipated and I drink loads of water and fluids throughout the day. I also have more energy if I eat within an hour of waking up in the mornings and I also increase my protein intake after exercise, otherwise I'm ravenous the next day.
  • aljharvey
    aljharvey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tricks but I'd like to get some lol. What works for me is equal carbs and protein to lose weight.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Eating some protein at bedtime, and getting at least 7 hrs of sleep a night.

If I'm been in a plateau and nothing is budging, a few days off of exercising and eating at a restaurant seems to break it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I track all my food and stay under my calorie goal, I lose weight.

When I don't track everything, I don't lose weight.
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with this 100%.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    There's no tricks to my loss. It'll be 6 months in two weeks and I've lost 42 lbs by eating less and moving more. I've cut nothing from my diet and I do weight lifting 3x a week. Even when I started out and ate completely different than I do now, I lost the same. But don't go around telling everyone, I'd hate for this to spread ;)
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lose a few pounds whenever I trim my beard. I always seem to gain it all back again within a few months though. :(
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    In...because "funny tricks" are just that. Tricks.

Also, it's not that unusual to lose weight after stopping exercise.

ETA: I'm starting to think you just like making threads that ruffle feathers.
  • CaryMatthew
    Options
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc

/thread
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I would like to know too!
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Less strenuous exercise for me. When I'm taking a million gym classes a week, my weight doesn't budge (I assume it's because I'm hungrier and eat more). If I stick to walking or running, I tend to lose more quicker.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Giving up artificial sweeteners....I was struggling and once I gave them up, I feel better, and it seems to have boosted my metabolism, if not my confidence. :)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Drastically reducing carbohydrates and alcohol at dinner, but only because they were the highest calorie components of that meal. Cutting them was the most efficient way to reduce my calories to a deficit. Except dessert. I never went without dessert. And I still ate carbs with/as my other meals. I tend not to like protein in the morning, so I'm all over toast or waffles.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    My trick is to eat less calories than I burn.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Nothing interesting for me. Log food & lift. Throw in a little HIIT on Tues/Th.
    I agree that we're all a bit different, but I did discover that you can't out train poor nutrition.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    subscribed.