aches and pains WORSE with weight loss??

Options
I have mild to moderate arthritis in my right ankle and knee. Also occasional back pain, lower or middle, and sometimes, my right shoulder blade. Usually it kicks in after lots of walking or other activity (like today, picking out bathroom tile and pushing a cartful of 300lbs worth of tile around Home Depot for 2 hours.)

My guess as to the cause is it is a combination of my weight and being somewhat flatfooted due to falling arches (studies show that fallen arches press on the wrong part of the bone and wear them down.

I haven't been exercising much, most of my loss has been diet based. As I started losing weight, my pains felt better initally, then got WORSE. I'm guessing either that it has nothing to do w/weight loss, or perhaps, my bones and muscles are readjusting and therefore it's akin to growing pains, plus, I may have had a little muscle loss from my weight loss that means when I exert, they're working harder.

Any ideas or experiences to share?

Replies

• bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest my knees used to swell just from standing. At the time I was in college working on my first degree and working at Wendy's (of all places). My knees got so big one night that I went to the ER. They said I had arthitis (sp?) in my knees.

After I dropped 60 lbs from that point, I never had another problem with my knees. Then I gained 30 lbs back and started MFP and doing the 30 Day Shred. At first, my knees were killing me. Then I started taking fish oil (900 mg) every morning and I noticed no pain almost immediately.

Talk to your doctor, but some natural remedies for knee, back, and other joint pain are fish oil (omega-3's), MSM, chondroitin, glucosamine, sam-e, and white willow bark.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees on top of the fact that I've dealt with knee pain ever since I could remember (about 5 years old). I had surgery on my right knee at 14. I've gained 90 lbs since then and the problems kept on coming. Needless to say it's usually hell this time of year with monsoon season and all the humidity makes me knees ache for days on end. I'm also very flat footed and really need to get some shoes for that (converse has NO arch support lol).

When I first started working out my knees would hurt... but as I got stronger they hurt less. Now they just hurt a little during my workouts after about 25 mins, but after workouts they are fine. And lately the humidity hasn't been making my knees go crazy either... and it has stormed pretty good a few times in the last couple weeks. They still hurt from time to time but not nearly as often as they used to. I think the weight has a lot to do with it, as well as building back strength in the knees.

Sorry for the ramble.. I hope this helps you though.