Weight loss and lifting

Options
So I weight a lot. Like 285 pounds a lot. I want to lose weigt but get/stay strong. I've started doing Stonglifts 3 times a week and doing cardio 2-3 days a week. My question is will I lose weight? Or will I just kinda stay the same? I probably sound like a moron but two years ago I lost 85 pounds doing cardio only. (I weight well over 300). I ended up gaining about 1/2 of it back. I want to lose it right this time and be strong, not flabby. Is my current schedule a good regime for weight loss? Or does anyone else have a better suggestion?
Thanks in advance!
ETA: I stay under my calories every day and try to make very healthy food choices. I drink no soda. Only water and plain tea.

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you will as long as you are eating at a deficit.

I would recommend heavy lifting to anyone, best thing I ever started doing.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss...no matter what exercise program you chose.
  • Krista916
    Options
    I'm going to be honest with you, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Getting your diet where it needs to be is first and foremost.

That being said, lifting weights will help build lean muscle with in turn burns fat. At some point you will most likely stall/slow down in the weight loss department doing cardio only.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss has little to nothing to do with your exercise. Weight loss is all about having a deficit of calories from that which would be required to maintain weight. While you can create this deficit through exercise, it is far more efficient to create this deficit through diet. This is how MFP is set up...you get a calorie goal that includes a deficit from what would be required to maintain with just your day to day. When you exercise, you get calorie to eat back because exercise isn't included in your activity level with MFP...so you see, for weight loss, exercise wouldn't matter at all...you're eating back those calories because you already have a deficit built into your diet.

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Strength training is great. It will help you retain your lean muscle, help your bone density, improve your strength, etc. And when you reach your goal weight it's going to help you to look fabulous.

But the exercise regimen doesn't mean much for weight loss. Will it help you lose weight? Yes. If and only if it's coupled with a calorie deficit. If you're not in a calorie deficit you'll gain weight, no matter the exercise program.

Get your calories in check for weight loss. But strength training has tons of great benefits, so keep with it anyway.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great to help you maintain muscle while losing fat. However, your actual rate of loss may be slower than it was when you were doing cardio only. That is because when doing cardio only, you were losing fat and muscle, and muscle is denser. When you. Lift, the scale may move slower, but it's because more of the loss will be from fat alone. Take photos and measurements and use those along with the scale to monitor your progress. Definitely keep lifting. Even though the scale may move slower, you're likely to like the way you look better!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay in a calorie deficit, I think your exercise regime will help you maintain muscle mass and help with having a great physique once you get to your goal weight. But diet is the major part. Mind you, without the exercise you'd be flabby, so keep at it. Plus it's fun!
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should have mentioned that I do eat at a deficit and am really conscious about making good food choices.