What home work outs can I do to tone, everything?

Today is my first day on the MyFitnessPal website. I'm looking to begin a work out/healthier eating diet. At this point, I don't want to join a gym - but will if that will provide me the best results. What work outs can I do at home to begin the process? I am not interested in losing too much weight, I mainly want to tone and reap the health benefits. Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    What equipment do you have?

If you don't have any you could do Couch to 5K every second day, and in between look at the program you are your own gym. This way you get cardio and strength training.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Provided you're cleared to workout by your doctor, I'd recommend Burpees and pullups.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Starting exercise......strength training can be done using your own body weight. Look to add weights as time goes by.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm

I like this DVD - http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-body-training-5756
    (no equipment required)
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Body weight strength training works wonders :) pushups, situps, squats, lunges, etc
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    I installed a joist mounted pull up bar in my basement last week. It won't do everything, but it's about as complete a workout as you'll want and it builds functional strength. Pull up works shoulders, biceps, triceps, forearms, chest, back, and core.
  • bamgirl10
    bamgirl10 Posts: 9 Member
    Believe it or not, Hip Hop Abs for some reason that work out hits everything even the back fat
  • jmatthews78
    jmatthews78 Posts: 14 Member
    I've downloaded the sworkit app....it marries nicely with myfitnesspal and lists loads of exercises to do at home without any gear. If you download the pro version (69p) then you get access to the famous 7-minute workout which is good, especially if you're short on time. I'm really trying to make this work as I'm refusing to join a gym (again!).
  • t_welch11
    t_welch11 Posts: 52 Member
    I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Tae Bo workouts...I enjoy them and for $20 got a set of 2lb hand weights and a pair of weighted gloves. There are tons of free workout videos on youtube, www.sparkpeople.com, and your local walmart have dvds and low cost equipment...for free ideas if you have stairs go up and down them a few times, squats, wall push ups, burpees, lunges across the living room, jump rope, there are a lot of things you can do but just dancing around the room to some favorite tunes will do it too! As far as a "diet" plan I go high fiber high protein to keep me full, drink lots of water, east fruits and veggies with every meal and for portion control I started using smaller plates (6-8") instead of the standard 12" ones. Make gradual changes day by day (or even week by week) and remember to keep going. Everyone has "bad" days but you will definatly have more good then bad :)
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    i bought the you are your own gym app, 2.99. i would say worth the 3 bucks. lots of exercises and create your own stuff, different types of workouts, interval, ladder, tabatas, etc.. all stuff you can do at home. all right on my phone. takes a little figuring out to get going how i like. i paid more for bad coffee before, so i could recommend it.
  • ErniesMom863
    ErniesMom863 Posts: 36 Member
    When i workout at home I do a variation of burpees, air squats, sit-ups, push ups, 15 pound slam balls, 35 pound kettlebell swings (Again Faster brnd since they don't get slip with sweat) and I use my RX jump rope.

I do several rounds for time. Always kicks my butt.