How much should I tip my surgeon?

Options
FatHuMan1
FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
I'm going under the knife tomorrow to replace a wonky hip. How much should I tip my surgeon, assuming I wake up of course? 10%? 15%? 20%? What is customary?

Replies

• Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Anal works.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I recommend just the tip.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I tipped my brain surgeon by having someone text him a pic of me after doing a 5k race exactly 12 weeks after having my head cut open. :drinker:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    20% of your co-pay.
    if no insurance, 4% of total cost of surgery NOT including instruments.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    depends if he goes beyond the call of duty if you wake up with another 5 inches then yes tip generously if he just did standard surgery then id only tip the usual 5% make sure you tape it to the site you want him to cut
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    They always want more than just the tip.
  • sjlawgirl
    sjlawgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    UH...I'm quite sure he is getting more than enough pay for the surgery as is. I would consider that tip is included. Is this a serious question??? People actually tip surgeons?!? :|
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well if a cosmetic surgeon they prefer to be tipped by referrals to your other friends and also testimonial letters and also agreeing to be a "reference" when new patients come in asking them for references. Please do not leave cash lying around the surgery room. It's unhygenic.
  • arghbowl
    Options
    Well if a cosmetic surgeon they prefer to be tipped by referrals to your other friends and also testimonial letters and also agreeing to be a "reference" when new patients come in asking them for references. Please do not leave cash lying around the surgery room. It's unhygenic.

Considering I work for vascular surgeons, let's just say tip ALL surgeons with referrals :)
  • arghbowl
    Options
    UH...I'm quite sure he is getting more than enough pay for the surgery as is. I would consider that tip is included. Is this a serious question??? People actually tip surgeons?!? :|

You'd be surprised... they usually only get paid 1/3 of the actual charge.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    when your surgeon asks for his gratuity, tell him...

willy-wonka-you-get-nothing.gif
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Being a UK person, the sarcasm here may be going waaaaay over my head. This is a joke right?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Considering I work for vascular surgeons, let's just say tip ALL surgeons with referrals :)

True dat. Make it rain should never be a surgery room tactic. Amirite?
  • FatHuMan1
    Options

But what if I need him again? I've got another hip you know, and this is not a big enough town to have two orthopedic surgeons.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Laugh all you want but people really do "tip" doctors in certain countries.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

But what if I need him again? I've got another hip you know, and this is not a big enough town to have two orthopedic surgeons.

Hurr durr, the obvious answer is to have him do both hips at the same time so you can only have to reject him once and never need him again...do you even dine and dash?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
  • FatHuMan1
    Options

Hurr durr, the obvious answer is to have him do both hips at the same time so you can only have to reject him once and never need him again...do you even dine and dash?

That's true! And with two brand new hips I can "dash" even faster than before. Genius.

Do you think it's too late to ask him to do both for me?
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

in that case, you'll have to move to another province.

it's best not to ever try and cross a bridge that you've already burned.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Being a UK person, the sarcasm here may be going waaaaay over my head. This is a joke right?

joking is against the TOS for this site, therefore the OP must be serious.