Losing Inches and Gaining Muscle - Girl

Options
Hello! I'm going to start my workout regimen whenever my boyfriend leaves for his next trip. He works out of town and will be gone for 3-4 months, and the whole time he's been back at the house he's been a terrible influence. We've both been lazy and gained weight. I want to take the opportunity while he's gone to get back to the fitness regimen I had before we got together.

I'm 23 and currently weigh in at 175, previously 165 when my boyfriend and I started dating, and before that I weighed 256 - I lost 90 lbs on my own a couple years ago. My measurements are 40 30 40. I also know my build and that being 130 lbs is just simply unrealistic, but I think 145 or 150 would look slender enough.

Anyway, getting to the point, I don't want to just lose weight. Yes, I want to lose weight and inches but I want to put muscle on, too, and in 4 months time I think measuring 2 inches smaller all around isn't too much of a stretch. My goal for this time period weight wise would be 15-20 lbs, because in the past when I worked out I really believe the muscle gain helped me to shed some excess fat and also improved my attitude.

I just want some diet and workout advice. People tell me not to work out every day, and to mix up arm and leg days. Why? And what easy-to-cook foods are there for me to eat, how much am I supposed to eat, how often? Is working out every day bad, can I go to the gym twice a day (when I'm up to it)?

I'm asking all these things because I forgot what the heck I was doing in the first place, and I don't have the benefit of a trainer or help at the free gym at my school, and I'm also seeking some guidance. I don't have a bunch of friends in this area and my family is extremely unhealthy with no interest in not being so, I genuinely just need support. Also, I don't plan on stopping my training after my boyfriend comes back but when I reach my target weight I want to focus more on gaining muscle and increasing my endurance.

I'm going to start walking/jogging this week and do that until my man leaves in January, just to start building up my cardio again, but then when I start hitting the gym after he leaves, what's a good way to start?

Thank you for reading the long post.

-Warbird

Replies

• Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started walking and jogging along with dieting in October and have lost 15lbs already. I am sure I could have lost more but I was not strong enough to control my eating and drinking habbits at social events. I know the holidays are not every day and you can get past the holidays and get the job done. I am proud of myself for the 15lbs that I have lost from October up until now. You can do it girl.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    Do you have a bootcamp class around where you live? -- Get involved with that & stick to it.. I swear you will lose inches! I have been doing a class 3 times a week since late Oct. and I have lost 5 inches already. I also like to make a bunch of meals ahead of time... healthy ones so I have no excuses :) Feel free to add me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most likely you will not gain muscle while losing inches. You may lose fat while maintaining you current muscle, which may make you look more muscular, but that is 'cause you are uncovering the muscle you already have buried in fat.
  • I second the boot camp class recommendation. I recently started attending one regularly in my area. We do things that I normally wouldn't do on my own as much such as HIIT, tabata, tons of strength moves, etc. Every time it's a bit different but I always get a great workout. It's also the type of class that will transform your body if you stick with it.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Does the free gym at your school offer any classes? You could also do online workout videos. I like going to the classes at my gym because the workout changes every day and a lot of it I wouldn't think to do on my own, or make myself do on my own.

As far as healthy meals go--it's trial and error. Figure out what you like to eat, log it, see how many calories. Rest. Repeat. You'll get into a groove where you know what you like, what's easy, what good choices are. I also like to cook/bake on the weekends so I have easy to grab healthy meals during the week, like chili, soup, baked egg/sausage/cheese "muffins", grilled chicken, enchiladas, etc.
  • danagolding
    Options
    It sounds like you could benefit from a good strength training program! I'm currently doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) and I think that is a great book to get if you are new to lifting. I've also heard good thing about Drop 2 Sizes. I started lifting in July and while I haven't really lost weight (I go back and forth between being a few pounds up and then back to where I was when I started) I am definitely looking and feeling so much better! I've also lost some inches and gone down in shirt and pant sizes. I personally didn't have a lot of weight to lose when I started lifting because previous to lifting I had been counting calories for over a year and been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred, Zumba, and other things for about 6 months. The workouts in NROLFW are full body workouts and you are only supposed to lift 2-3 days a week to allow your muscles to recover and repair themselves. On your off days you can do other things such as running, Zumba, Yoga, walking, spinning, or whatever else feels right for you. You just have to listen to your body and make sure that it is getting the recovery time that it needs. As far as how much to eat that can be a tricky balance. You have to feed your muscles but at the same time if you are wanting to lose weight you also need to be at a deficit. You kind of have to play around with calories a bit to see what your body needs but I would suggest just starting at a slight deficit. There are calorie guidelines in the NROLFW book but the book is a few years old and the author has since come out to say that he has rethought his view on calories a bit. You also want to be eating a good amount of protein (something I need to do better at). You should definitely look into lifting heavy! There are so many advantages to it but for what you are specifically wanting, muscle burns fat! Good luck!!!! :heart:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Most likely you will not gain muscle while losing inches. You may lose fat while maintaining you current muscle, which may make you look more muscular, but that is 'cause you are uncovering the muscle you already have buried in fat.

This is just not true.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

This is just not true.

'splain, because it's pretty accurate.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This is just not true.

It's actually pretty darn true. OP might experience some "noobie gains" of muscle, but it would be very small (particularly if eating at a deficit), and gaining muscle beyond these initial gains is very difficult on a deficit. Scratch that, it's borderline impossible without being at a surplus or having some serious hormonal issues.

OP, as some have said: Try and find a strength training program. Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women are good programs that you can find online, for free, and detail exactly what you should do to start lifting.

People say to switch up legs/arms day because a.) you don't want to work the same muscle groups two days in a row (generally) so that they can repair themselves and b.) provides an outline for how to work your body (if you get real specific, some people will add "chest" and "back" day; others just break it down into "upper body" and "lower body" day.

Ultimately, for the goals you're looking for (a focus on inches, overall reduction of body weight), a good lifting program, eating at a moderate deficit, and some cardio thrown in for good measure (I'd say not more than 1-2 days a week; light), and you'll be good to go.
  • dublincarbomb
    dublincarbomb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started strength training a few months ago using this program:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
    It breaks down training into four days a week, but I do it two days a week with my friend (an upper body workout and a lower on Tuesday and an upper and lower on Thursday) and do cardio three times a week. I've seen a huge change in my muscle definition. Don't be scared to lift heavy, you will not bulk up. You will have to mess with your calories to see what works best for YOU. Everyone is different, but you do need to be at a defecit to lose. Adding protein powder to your green smoothie or oatmeal in the morning is an easy way to up your protein intake (I use Sun Warrior Raw).
    Good luck!
  • danagolding
    Options

This is just not true.

From what I understand its actually pretty hard to gain new muscle and won't happen on a deficit (there is a little bit of an exception for newbies though). However it is possible to build on the muscle that you already have and it is definitely possible to gain strength, especially for a newbie. Muscle burns fat so it is very possible to get stronger and lose fat and inches (as well as uncover the muscle underneath the fat). This is, I think, what the OP really is wanting and asking about.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This is just so true.

Fixed that for you there.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

This is just not true.

this oughta be interesting.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    if you have a smart phone i downloaded an app called JEFIT.. and i love it! it not only allows you to enter in your starting weight, inches of EVERY body part and a before picture, but has a HUGE list of strength training exercises and cardio exersises. I made myself a weekly plan by just clicking on body parts, scrolling thru the list to add the ones my gym would allow me to do and saving.

The great part is there is a picture and idk .gif or animation that shows how to do it, and to the right an explanation and tips. You can also use it while working out to record your sets, reps, weight used and it times your breaks between each.. theres a lot to this app that in conjunction with logging food on myfitpal can really help. You can sign in online and have it forever or not and.. well lose it with your phone like i did the first time lol

add me if you would like some support.. its my first week back after maternity leave and i have about the same to lose.

You can doit!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

This is just not true.
    Yep that bodybump will burn fat and build muscle all at the same time
    !
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    . dumb double post
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

This is just not true.
    Yep that bodybump will burn fat and build muscle all at the same time
    !
    Oh, OK. Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif:tongue:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. You'll find all the answers to your questions there. I'm on week 4 now and after a LONG stall I've lost 1#/week so far... working out 3x/week for about 20min. I eat clean... meaning... no soda/juice... no pre-packaged foods... very little pasta/bread/potatoes/rice. Protein shake after working out... the usual.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This is just not true.

+1, They probably won't come back and 'splain, because the never do.... Outside of some noob gains, that statement is pretty accurate.