Cold weather running

Options
Hi! I'm thinking of outdoor running this winter and could use some advice from the experts!
I'm a beginner/novice runner getting back into it after a new baby and hoping to run an outdoor 5k in February.
I could use all the advice and votes of confidence I can get! TIA!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? Your cold might be different from my cold.

Anyway, my advice is layers that are removable. I always start off with too many layers on and have to de-layer throughout a run.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wear layers, head covering, gloves, and go! (I myself didn't run because of the slippier roads caused by the new-fallen snow here in the northeast, but I'll be out there ASAP!)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Layers and dress to 10 - 20 degrees warmer than what the temp is outside. Base that on how you respond to exercise. If you sweat and get hot easily, dress to around 20, if you don't sweat much and chill easily then dress to 10. But layer, layer, layer.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Anyway, my advice is layers that are removable. I always start off with too many layers on and have to de-layer throughout a run.

Agreed; perhaps the most difficult part of cold-weather running is correctly choosing how many layers to put on, especially if you're a profuse sweater like me.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm in the Midwest (it gets pretty cold) and not much of a sweater.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm in the Midwest (it gets pretty cold) and not much of a sweater.

Well, I am in Oklahoma, so we have a lot of wind to deal with. You definitely want a good wind resistant outer layer.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The advice about dressing in layers, covering your ears, and using gloves is spot on. There is a bit more to add. Run close to home. Twisting an ankle 5 miles from home when it is 15F or lower is not good. Run with a cell phone. And lastly, when your run is done, you are not *finished* until you stretch, stretch, stretch. Take some time to do that. Your muscles and tendons will love you for it.
  • Betsnikel
    Betsnikel Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I layer up and I live in Northern Michigan so we have a lot of snow and ice here. I have Yaktrax Pro to strap on my boots/shoes (depending on how deep the snow is) to help me keep from slipping. I also picked up a pair of UnderArmor winter running pants that are water resistant, they are very comfortable and kept me dry in the blizzard I was running in this weekend. I have found that the main thing is to keep dry.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hey chickie! Like everyone said, layer up! I bought a good pair of running pants and I wear under armour under the pants if it's really cold. I have gloves, hat and a neck thingy (the real word is escaping me..long day at work). With the layers, the cold doesn't bother me after the first mile at all. I actually prefer it over the summer heat. PLUS I feel super bad *kitten* when it's 20 out and I just got in a 10 miler :)

Good luck! You know where to find me for Qs!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm in Central California so my coldest is in the twenties, in the mornings between December and January. I layer it up and still end up running in a sleeveless tee, long compression tights and gloves. My larger issue is where to put my phone/music so I don't have to stop every first few miles to readjust my armband every time I take off a layer. I do wear a beanie, regardless, on cold days. Caps aren't warm enough and the bill gets caught on my over-the-head long sleeved layers.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    I live in Ottawa. It gets cold. The one piece of advice I would give that hasn't been given yet is carry a Mylar (space) blanket in your coat pocket. They are very compact and inexpensive (couple of dollars) and could become critical if you slip and fall. Also, you can put studs into the bottom of your shoes for extra traction.
  • Betsnikel
    Betsnikel Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Neck Gaiter? I have one too! Love it!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Just like warm weather. Just cover up without wearing anything too heavy.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I second the yak trax suggestion for running on snow.

Cover the areas that get cold. For me, that is hands, neck and ears. I buy cheap little gloves from Target for my hands. I don't need more than that. For REALLY cold, I have some waterproof/windproof gloves from REI. One of my friends has circulation issues and uses handwarmer packs in her gloves.

There are some good wool running socks. The brand I like is SmartWool and someone recommended Icebreaker.

If you drive to run, take something dry to wear after a run. It's miserable sitting in damp clothing.

Remember to drink water. You won't feel like it, but if I don't drink during or immediately after a cold run, I get a chill that just won't go away.

Finally, you are just going to have to experiment with what works for you and the temperatures.