thick legs...what can I do?

Options
my thighs and calves are so big. What are the best exercises for losing fat on your legs? I look in the mirror and realize my legs are all dimply and cottage cheesy. DISGUSTING! I am too young for that!

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    become a runner....do squats and calf raises.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You still have 52 lbs to lose. Eat at a moderate deficit, do strength training, and be patient.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. Eat fewer calories. Closing the refrigerator door is the most effective exercise there is. :drinker:
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You would be awesome at Indian wrestling. =)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    take up prancersize. that'll solve your problem.

j/k :tongue:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You still have 52 lbs to lose. Eat at a moderate deficit, do strength training, and be patient.

Do this.

And if they still aren't to your liking, learn to love them anyway.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And if they still aren't to your liking, learn to love them anyway.

^^^ This

Also...
    http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2013/11/keeping-it-real/
  • prettykitty1963
    prettykitty1963 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K training..no change in weight or inches....won't calf raises make my legs bigger?
  • Markrob39
    Options
    Running or jogging helps so much
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This
  • firstsip
    Options
    I just finished C25K training..no change in weight or inches....won't calf raises make my legs bigger?

Not unless you have a testosterone problem or are eating at a surplus.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight and strength train.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Are you eating at a deficit?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Learn to love yourself the way you are.

<---My thigh and calf measurements are huge. It's also where I store the last of my fat. They look better now that I lift heavy.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You can’t spot reduce. I have lost 40lbs & it’s all over my body. Running is my preferred method of exercise w/spinning & lifting on non-run days & beneath the fat layer on my legs I can feel some good leg muscle, but I know I won’t see the muscle definition until more of the fat is gone. I am not sure when it will be as the body loses in places it deems fit to lose it in. Just be patient, workout & eat @ a deficit & the legs will slim down as well as other parts of your body.
  • choeli
    choeli Posts: 10
    Options
    OK, I will try to reply politely, unlike some. Good job on the weight loss. It's a slow process. I have the same problem you do. I've always had runners calves but I've noticed that with my weight loss, my thighs still have that serious flab and excess skin. That will only tighten up with time. Just keep working on the full body and in time, it will tighten up. As far, as dimply. Welcome to the real world. Just be proud of the person you are and the person you are becoming.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    my thighs and calves are so big. What are the best exercises for losing fat on your legs? I look in the mirror and realize my legs are all dimply and cottage cheesy. DISGUSTING! I am too young for that!

LOL...I can totally relate. I have big legs too and I used to hate them. My mom would always say one day you will thank me for your legs. I run, squat, lunge, deadlift, walk and everything else you can think of and they are still big. However, there are very muscular and shapely now. I get compliments whenever I unleash them. They are starting to grow on me. I don't love them but then I don't hate them anymore so I say stick with your diet and exercise. You'll see some changes eventually.

I suggest all the above mentioned exercises:wink:
  • prettykitty1963
    prettykitty1963 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cardio does very little for me. I really want to start strength training...not sure where to start. I have weights at home but no barbell. What can I do?
  • firstsip
    Options
    OK, I will try to reply politely, unlike some. Good job on the weight loss. It's a slow process. I have the same problem you do. I've always had runners calves but I've noticed that with my weight loss, my thighs still have that serious flab and excess skin. That will only tighten up with time. Just keep working on the full body and in time, it will tighten up. As far, as dimply. Welcome to the real world. Just be proud of the person you are and the person you are becoming.

... What.