1200 a day calorie goal too low?

Options
Hi! I'm trying to lose weight and when I type in my information, the tracker gives me a calorie goal of 1200 calories a day. I am a 19 year old female and I weigh about 210 pounds. When I type my information into a BMR calculator, it says I have a BMR of 1750 calories a day. If I exercise (and I do!), this would be even more.

Do you think that 1200 calories a day is a good goal or too low/high? If you think it's a good goal, do you have any tips at staying within my calories for the day?

Replies

• luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Its too low.

Change the goal to 1 lb a week weight loss and eat back most of your exercise calories.
    Get a food scale and weigh/measure all the stuff you intake and accurately log it.
    Get a heart rate monitor to know what you are burning during exercise so you can know what to accurately eat.
    Don't deprive yourself of food (it just brings on binging) just make sure you eat what fits in your daily calorie allotment.

You did not gain the weight fast and you are going to lose it fast. Take it slow and easy and you will get to your goal..
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with amyrebeccah. If it feels too low then it should be changed. I think you can lose 2 lbs a week and be ok, just make sure you're getting enough protein would be a major concern because that can cause muscle loss. Another suggestion would to eat like that on days you don't workout. I'm suppose to eat like 2800 calories and only ate 1800 the other day. As long as a steep decline in calories is not sustained for a long period of time, the metabolism will be ok. Just listen to what your body tells you. I hope this helps you!
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1250 cals a day and do not eat back my excercise calories. However, I took a year first to convert myself from junk food to health food then worked on portions. I do not know where your journey has already taken you, but i would not suggest making too many big switches at the same time. Depriving yourself leads to binging and other bad things. When i started doing low cal intake i first started with 1500 calories a day, then 1250 M-Th and 1500 F-Su and now i am donig 1250 all the time. I found it takes a few weeks to get used to, but when you get it your golden. Anything under 1200 cals for a woman is too little.

Tip: eat more, but smaller portions!
  • lyricalindsey
    lyricalindsey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Y'all have been a great help! I'm just going to see what works for me.