NEED ADVICE: Sore- should I work out anyway?

Options
Okay so I did a great work out two days ago (day before yesterday). I am still sore in the back, ribs, and especially the glutes. I did only stair stepper and cycling yesterday. I am going to the gym shortly.

The question is, should I go for my strength training workout (usually about an hour of circuit weights/ exercises, followed by a 20-30 minute run and then stretching in the sauna) as usual, or should I do cardio only?

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If the soreness is due to an injury, then don't workout, take it easy for a few days. If the soreness is nothing more then (DOMS), then go for it. Stretch some and lift away. Most likely, at least for me, it'll feel better after you start throwing some weight around for a few minutes.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless you injured something.

After a hard workout you will be sore...more so when you haven't really pushed your muscles in awhile.

If there is no injury and you have had at least a full 24 hours in-between you are fine.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If the soreness is due to an injury, then don't workout, take it easy for a few days. If the soreness is nothing more then (DOMS), then go for it. Stretch some and lift away. Most likely, at least for me, it'll feel better after you start throwing some weight around for a few minutes.

Agree with this :smile:
  • s121228
    Options
    Should definetly continue your strength workout. If your just starting out with it you can expect to be pretty sore for the first week or so. If you skip the workout you'll never really get past that soreness. The only thing that should stop a workout is serious pain and even then I would say find exercises that work around what's in pain.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I had been working out, but with all the heavy lifting inspiration on here coupled with a couple of articles I read saying that women don't usually lift enough weight, I stepped it up!