I'm not anorexic!!

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I've already been to the doctor before about my period - he said I didn't have to worry about it. But maybe I should go see the doctor again and ask if i eat enough. But how can i manage to lose the belly fat if I'm not allowed to eat clean and exercise (which are the main reasons for a weight loss?) I don't think I'm fat at all, when i look in the mirror I actually like what i see - the only thing is my belly i wanna change. If i really had anorexia i would probably have said i hated my body but i don't. I'm also bigger than most of my friends, yet i still don't think I'm fat. :-)

did the doctor give you a reason why it was ok that you had lost your period?
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Anorexic doesn't depend on weight but on the way you behave around food.. Even slightly overweight people can be anorexic. If you hide your food, try to avoid eating with others and control everything you eat without being able to indulge and forget about diet once in a while, than you should probably be careful. But it totally understand your goal and why you want that. So when you don't have any of the issues above, I'm pretty sure you will be fine :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    go to the doctor

This
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused.

I thought anorexia had nothing to do with numbers weight wise. I thought you could have the disorder/disease and still be 200 lb.

No, to be diagnosed with anorexia nervosa you have to be underweight. One of the criteria for anorexia nervosa is a body weight 15% under normal. http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/explain/index.php

You can be overweight and have an eating disorder (lots of people have disordered eating habits), it just cant be anorexia nervosa.

You are completely wrong and should not be correcting people unless you know you are right. My friend was diagnosed with anorexia and she wasn't skinny. Here is the proper definition

"anorexia
    — n
    1. loss of appetite
    2. Also called: anorexia nervosa a disorder characterized by fear of becoming fat and refusal of food, leading to debility and even death
    "

DSM diagnostic criteria for anorexia are:

Refusal to maintain a body weight that is at or above the minimum normal weight for your age and height
    Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though you're underweight
    Denying the seriousness of having a low body weight, or having a distorted image of your appearance or shape
    In women who've started having periods, the absence of a period for at least three consecutive menstrual cycles

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anorexia/DS00606/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

This is correct. You need a BMI under 17.5, plus the other criteria above. Someone who is 200lb and eats less than 500 calories a day, with a marked fear of food or gaining weight would be classed as EDNOS - Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, restricting type.

The term 'anorexic' is often used as a general description but is not a diagnosis unless the above criteria are met.