Cardio-Treadmill, Elliptical???'s

Options
Hey all- I was involved with sports growing up and continued to stay fit into my late 20's. While I've never ballooned my weight too high I have become out of shape. I've ran outdoors but have been limited to a track in my last few attempts which both were cut short after minor injuries. I attribute that to joint trouble (1 major knee reconstruction, another cartilage repair). That's a little history and the reason I broke down and joined a gym. I've been doing the treadmill for the cushion knowing that I'll also need to incorporate elliptical machines and biking as well. After jogging on treadmill 5 times since last Sunday (12/1), I plan to begin elliptical in the morning to offset the impact of jogging.
Any advice to using an elliptical? Never used one before but want to experience same cardio training as jogging. Is it best to go directly off duration? Would 30 minutes jog equate to 30 minutes elliptical or should I plan to go longer or shorter on elliptical?
It's my first venture into this activity. I appreciate any advice. Have a great day.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    See how you feel. The elliptical is easier on the joints, so often it's "easier" than running on the treadmill. Just start and go from there.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I can kick *kitten* on an elliptical with a mile done in less than ten minutes, and easily put in an hour if I didn't get so bored. Treadmill=12 minute mile and can't stay motivated to run past that mile. I also don't think I have the endurance to go past that mile just yet on a treadmill.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    only advice I have is that, at least for me, ellipticals are either hit or miss. They either fit my stride nicely or are very awkward and frustrate me. So, my gym has several different types and I have tried them all and only use 2 different ones. Even within the brand the stride of 2 different models can be different, so if it doesn't feel right after a few minutes, hop off and get on a different model or brand.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    also, I seem to get the best results keeping the pace at around 5-6 mph and increasing the level/resistance of the machine until I get my heart rate where I want it. Again, maybe that is just me, though.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You are talking about high impact verse low impact. The elliptical will generally be easier, as it is a low impact exercise. Even though you have cushion with the treadmill, running on it is still considered a high impact.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like to do elliptical on the "intervals" setting. Check it out-very good work-out!! Stair Master on "intervals" is also a killer work-0ut.
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. I have a tendency to want to push myself if I keep jogging which I know will lead to injury and is why the elliptical is a good alternative. I like the idea of a steady mph and then altering the resistance. I think the interval setting would be advantageous too to keep my cardio up while also using the muscles. Low impact plus good heart rate.....just what I'm looking for.
    Once my legs get comfortably under me after a 6 month chips and queso lifestyle, attempting the stair master will be next on my next step. Trying not to do too much too soon.
    Thanks again! I look forward to sharing with you and to hear how you're doing likewise!
  • jilly91877
    jilly91877 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run on a treadmill, but sometimes have knee aches so I tried the ellipticals at my gym. I read an article that said if you are not going forward and backward, and using the incline/resistance settings, you are not using the elliptical to the fullest. I've done the hills and intervals on the elliptical, and I feel it in my muscles the next day, in a way I don't on the treadmill. It's almost like combining cardio with a lower body toning workout. Differnt but still effective