How much do you tip the plumber?

Options
2»

Replies

• squished
    squished Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If he's independent (runs his own company) then zero. I assure you in the bill he gives you he's making his "tip" and then some.

If he's part of a bigger company and just turns your check into his boss, then a little cash is always nice especially around the holiday.

(coming from a family of plumbers)
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not at all, he's underwater. He fails as a plumber.
    Plumbing includes my family's water supply. I'm very thorough.
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options
    And I always deliver on my customer's (wife's) desires.
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options
    A big snake helps.

Oh.......if you are having troubles screwing in a pipe, try some lube. (free professional advise)
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A big snake helps.

Oh.......if you are having troubles screwing in a pipe, try some lube. (free professional advise)

week-in-review-james-franco-gifs-imgur.gif
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    However when I went to Austin a few months ago it was always expected. And admittedly I did tip but was never sure how much.
    That's because we're all a bunch of lazy hipsters. :tongue:
    15% of the pre-tax total is the standard for waiter service. If you're not going to be leaving that, please ask for the manager and have them address whatever the problem was. Give them a chance to make it right. If they're just egregious with their behavior, feel free to just walk out without dining/paying even if you already ordered. There's no need to tolerate bad service and pay for something that the management wouldn't even make right.

I usually give 20% or more to waiters because I only go places with good service, and I am kind to the servers, so I get excellent service in return.

I hate the counter-service tip jar though. It's begging, and expecting something extra for doing what's already your job. If I have to stand in line to order, schlep my own food and bus my own table and all you have to do is take my money and hand over food? Yeah, the hourly rate is good enough.

Anyway, I hope you had a miserable time in Austin and never come back. :wink:
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    However when I went to Austin a few months ago it was always expected. And admittedly I did tip but was never sure how much.
    That's because we're all a bunch of lazy hipsters. :tongue:
    15% of the pre-tax total is the standard for waiter service. If you're not going to be leaving that, please ask for the manager and have them address whatever the problem was. Give them a chance to make it right. If they're just egregious with their behavior, feel free to just walk out without dining/paying even if you already ordered. There's no need to tolerate bad service and pay for something that the management wouldn't even make right.

I usually give 20% or more to waiters because I only go places with good service, and I am kind to the servers, so I get excellent service in return.

I hate the counter-service tip jar though. It's begging, and expecting something extra for doing what's already your job. If I have to stand in line to order, schlep my own food and bus my own table and all you have to do is take my money and hand over food? Yeah, the hourly rate is good enough.

Anyway, I hope you had a miserable time in Austin and never come back. :wink:
    Having a bad day?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tips for the plumber:

(1) Remember, my crap is your bread and butter.
    (2) Wear suspenders.
    (3) Lefty loosey-righty tighty.
    (4) Crap flows down hill.
    (5) Dont bite your finger nails.
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options
    If he's independent (runs his own company) then zero. I assure you in the bill he gives you he's making his "tip" and then some.

If he's part of a bigger company and just turns your check into his boss, then a little cash is always nice especially around the holiday.

(coming from a family of plumbers)
    ^
    This.

Don't forget...to tip.