Carb Cycling Help

Options
So long story short ;

Started a "bulk" September first, eating about 2200 cals/day macros: 250g C 127g P & 50g F.

Gained a good amount of muscle with diet & strength-building program, but definitely put on some fat because I cut out cardio completely.

Christmas party coming up on Dec 21st, did not want to look so "fluffly" in my dress, so about 3 weeks ago I started carb-cycling. Kept macros/cals the same for high carb days, and medium carb days were 100g C 120g P & 60-70g F. Low carb days were >50g C, 120G P and 80-100g F. Also threw in HIIT cardio 2-3 days a week while trying to lift as heavy as I can on my high carb days because I reallyyyyyy really don't want to lose muscle. My nightmare is to be skinny fat again.

I feel like I have lost some muscle, and its making me sad. Fat loss is going good though. Any help/advice on how to keep muscle loss at a minimum during a mini-cut?

I plan to go right back to bulking after Christmas til about March.

Thanks for any advice!! :)

Replies

• leudey
    Options
    What about more protein? I don't have much to add except that I easily eat 100-120gm of protein per day and I am fairly inactive and I don't support much muscle mass. I've been dieting and not losing any of my strength in lifting. So I guess maybe check out some protein intake guidelines for your activity level? I follow recommendations by Lyle McDonald.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Cutting down carbs will deplete your glycogen stores making your muscles look smaller. So maybe it might not actualy be muscle loss but if you're worried, increase your protien or just cut calories and forget about carb cycling.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Cutting down carbs will deplete your glycogen stores making your muscles look smaller. So maybe it might not actualy be muscle loss but if you're worried, increase your protien or just cut calories and forget about carb cycling.

Agreed- you will look "flat" after lower carb days. A short term carb cycle will really not break down your muscle like that, especially if you have excess body fat to burn. Based on your workouts- sounds like you are not at risk for muscle loss during a short term cycling program.
  • katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I know it hasn't even been very long since I started this whole process but I'm really impatient, and I worry a lot! So I appreciate the words of wisdom!
  • jaydangler
    Options
    Hey-

When you are trying to cut, but want to maintain muscle the best thing you can do is to keep your body anabolic.

To put it simply, your body at all times is in one of two states: anabolic or catabolic.

When we workout, we're extremely catabolic because you're literally tearing your muscles down so they recover and grow back stronger. So, with that being said the question is how do I stay anabolic?

It is simple. Eat protein. Proteins that have high Leucine content (it's an amino acid). So this basically means any meats, eggs are really high, protein powsers, and even amino acid supplements work.

The best way to do this- have 6 meals a day or so, and with each meal, have an adequate amount of protein (proteins with high leucine content) or a couple servings of amino acids. This way you'll be anabolic throughout the day.

Catabolic is tear down of muscle fibers, you're becoming weaker.
    Anabolic- where recovery takes place, muscle building,

To understand how the body works whether it may be muscle building, digestion, cognitive function, fat loss, you've gotta know how the hormones in your body function.

Best of luck!
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Most muscle recovery is during sleep.

http://www.humanengine.com/index.php/articles/nutrition/item/nutrient-timing-endures-circadian-rhythm-protein-timing?category_id=3

I have around 1/4 of my protein before bed.

Another good read on nutrient timing.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Also anything you eat/drink normally takes 24-72 hours to actually be usable by the body.

Only carb cycling i do is if I want rice or pasta. :-)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

^this. Just maintain your protein and fat macros, and keep lifting. Eat at a moderate deficit by cutting calories or adding some cardio. Simple and proven to work.

Ignore all the stuff about meal timing and just eat when it fits your preferences.

Carb cycling can work for some people but the problem is you are cutting your carbs the day before a workout. This can cause your workouts and performance to suffer. IMO it is better to just keep them static and try to keep your workouts from suffering.
  • katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options

^this. Just maintain your protein and fat macros, and keep lifting. Eat at a moderate deficit by cutting calories or adding some cardio. Simple and proven to work.

Ignore all the stuff about meal timing and just eat when it fits your preferences.

Carb cycling can work for some people but the problem is you are cutting your carbs the day before a workout. This can cause your workouts and performance to suffer. IMO it is better to just keep them static and try to keep your workouts from suffering.

Yeah, and I workout in the morning, so even on my high carb days, I'm not really using the carbs I eat as fuel for lifting because I'm eating them after my workout :/ Its such a process to find what works for our bodies. I think next time I try and do a cut I will just add in more cardio and not bother with carb cycling. I've also found that I'm irritable and grumpy on my low carb days. Thanks for the advice everyone! :D