High calorie amount in my Coffee

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have recently just started drinking coffee. So I was messing around until I found something I like. Sheetz house blend coffee, sugar, whole milk and chocolate cream flavor creamer. I cant stand the bitter taste of coffee so I need to add milk, creamer and sugar. However, I then realized that I changed a 10 - 15 calorie drink into 342 calories??? WOW

Any ideas on how to lower the calories and still taste like hot chocolate? Or just stick with a can of soda (150 calories):ohwell: ?

Try a packet of sugar-free hot chocolate.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lord, some of you people are so rude. So the gal wants highly-sweetened and creamy coffee. Lots of people drink it this way, and I used to, too, before I learned to appreciate coffee in a less-altered form. Why do you have to jump all over her?

I suggest subbing the sugar with pure, liquid stevia. I also suggest trying organic coconut oil in your coffee instead of cream sometime. I know it sounds strange, but give it a try. It still gives the coffee a creamy consistency, but it digests more easily than dairy. I'm a fan. I also like to add a dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla extract. Best of luck!
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and stevia .ur coffee will stay under 20 or maybe less
  • crash_aly
    Options
    I have recently just started drinking coffee. So I was messing around until I found something I like. Sheetz house blend coffee, sugar, whole milk and chocolate cream flavor creamer. I cant stand the bitter taste of coffee so I need to add milk, creamer and sugar. However, I then realized that I changed a 10 - 15 calorie drink into 342 calories??? WOW

Any ideas on how to lower the calories and still taste like hot chocolate? Or just stick with a can of soda (150 calories):ohwell: ?

if you had to add all that why even drink coffee? its really not even coffee anymore …its warm coca beans with a crap ton of sugar and cream….

This ^^ Find something else that you actually like the taste of.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I use my protein shake (Premier Protein RTD 30 gm protein/160 calories) as coffee creamer. I mix 1/3 of a shake into one big cup of coffee. That way I can drink 3 cups of coffee and hit my protein macros for the day. It tastes good to me, but it probably doesn't taste like hot chocolate.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and stevia .ur coffee will stay under 20 or maybe less

Almond milk!! I am obsessed with almond milk.

My 60kcal coffee drink:
    Trader Joes Original Almond Milk [or other lightly sweetened non-vanilla almond milk -- Silk & Blue Diamond are both good though they have more preservatives in them] - 8oz (60kcal)
    Trader Joes Cold Pressed Coffee - 4oz (0 kcal)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with those who said just don't drink it if you don't like it.

I drink my morning travel mug with 2Tb of flavored creamer (totally and completely worth the 70 calories to me) and any subsequent cups are black with Equal, with only rare exceptions.

It's fine to indulge in things you enjoy as long as you're carving out the calories and you're aware of how they impact your day, but you don't HAVE to drink coffee - there's no need to consume 300+ calories on a drink if you don't want to. Sure, once in a blue moon I get myself a lovely afternoon Starbucks and it's 250 or so calories, but I do that with the full knowledge that I'm going to love every sip and having made sure I planned for it accordingly. What you're doing seems silly.
  • blue_eyez2u
    Options
    I drink mine with stevia and Kroger brand Sugar Free French vanilla creamer only 15 cal per Tbs :drinker:
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't even like coffee, so why force yourself to drink it if you have to add so much other stuff it's not even coffee any more.

Try a low cal instant chocolate drink if it's chocolate you're after.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    didnt read any responses, but coffee can skyrocket quickly, depending on what youre putting in it (OBV)

i take mine with a splenda or a couple sugar in the raws, and a few tablespoons of fat free half n half...which usually puts the coffee somewhere around the 60calorie mark. perfectly acceptable for me.

also, if you dont like the bitterness and acidity of coffee brewed hot, try cold brewing. i do that in the summer, and it is amazing what brewing it cold does for the flavor.
    the bitterness comes from the acids in coffee and are released by the extreme heat.

cold brewing takes a lot more time and a lot more coffee, but is WELL worth it IMO.

google it up....there are tons of recipes and posts on it.

ETA: if it's only the caffeine youre after and dont even like coffee...try caffeine pills or diet soda.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of creamer but since getting my Keurig I've stopped. The coffee's really good and creamer would just kind of ruin it.

But you just started drinking it and it's an acquired taste. I'd probably suggest either stopping or cutting back on the added stuff gradually.
  • 88blue14
    88blue14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the after taste of coffee but someone dropped off some light roast coffee at work and it is delicious. I use International delight coffee creamer. 30 cals a tsp. no sugar. I average around 120 cal per 12-16oz cup.
  • SweetCherieNC
    Options
    I realized that I was putting a lot of extra calories & sugar in my coffee also once I started tracking even with using splenda.. and most of the sugar was coming from my flavored creamers. I just try to use mainly plain/original powdered creamer(most Are 10 or 15 calories per serving) and I love the taste of chocolate also so I use about 2 tbsp zero calorie sugar free Torani chocolate syrup and I also add 2 tbsp sugar free Torani Vanilla syrup.Pretty good & I don't miss my high calorie sugary creamers at all.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    You know, you don't HAVE to drink coffee!?!? Just don't...and btw, soda is not a suitable replacement...sheesh!

Anything she wants to drink that fits her cals is a suitable replacement. I prefer coffee, but if she prefers soda then that is FINE.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use my protein shake (Premier Protein RTD 30 gm protein/160 calories) as coffee creamer. I mix 1/3 of a shake into one big cup of coffee. That way I can drink 3 cups of coffee and hit my protein macros for the day. It tastes good to me, but it probably doesn't taste like hot chocolate.

GREAT idea. Seriously. I was just saying the other day that since it had gotten cold I have not wanted my protein shakes and was trying to figure out an alternative to get it in and this sounds like it! Thanks!
  • jenny8117
    jenny8117 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Heres what I do when I need to lose a few pounds. I use Hersheys cocoa powder and Stevia (like Truvia)....You need a little more Truvia than you think you should have because the cocoa powder is bitter. And you have to make sure you mix it really well. Its not the same as actual hot chocolate but it cuts a ton of calories!

For people to say no coffee is a joke! :) Ive come to terms with the fact that we only have a short life to live. I want to enjoy my life and coffee gives me something to look forward to in the morning.

As soon as I hit 75 I'm also going to take up smoking and drinking most days. haha
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Nomination for Tip of the Day!

I occasionally add natural honey, about a teaspoon, to my coffee. I got used to drinking it black in the military, so it doesn't bother me if I add nothing.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I use three teaspoons of CoffeeMate and Splenda. That is 30 calories.

*this
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    If your coffee is bitter, a) get a coffee that isn't as bitter, or b) brew it correctly. Coffee isn't supposed to be bitter.

This.

Re-evaluate what coffee you are buying. I used to have to put crap in my cup, until I started buying fresh-roasted coffee from reputable roasters, and then grinding and brewing it myself. I've found certain origins and blends lend themselves better to certain brew methods. For instance, I really love a light-roasted Peruvian bean when properly brewed in a French press, and not so much when brewed in an AeroPress. I also really like a medium-roasted Mexican brewed in a Gaggia as an Americano. Just a couple examples.

Buy quality beans and brew them properly. Experiment. If you can't find one that you don't like without contaminants, you just don't like coffee, and I'd suggest caffeine pills.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

if you had to add all that why even drink coffee? its really not even coffee anymore …its warm coca beans with a crap ton of sugar and cream….

If it was coca I imagine it'd be a hell of a lot more fun to drink :wink:

I agree though. If you wan the coffee effect without the bitter taste or the calories, go for a diet soda. Or even a Pro Plus... I drink my coffee black, sometimes add powdered cinnamon to the grounds if I'm in the mood.