1,200 calories?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have a B.S. in exercise science and am a personal trainer. I will not recommend 1200 calories to anybody, nor a high fat/low carb diet.

at 1200 calories the body is usually in starvation mode, going back to it's survival instinct it will hold onto fat for future energy use because it doesn't know that food is readily available, instead it will get rid of lean body mass (muscle) which burns calories 24/7, thus making your body much less efficient throughout the day.

Carbs is both muscle and the brains preferred source of energy, mental and physical performance will drop with a lack of carbs. Although this is not to say to avoid fat either. A good macronutrient breakdown for weight loss is 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein. Protein also gives you the full feeling of fat but also helps your body hold onto its lean muscle mass.

you had me until starvation mode…you cannot be in starvation mode if you are eaten 1200 calories a day …you have to eat nothing for a 72 hour period to see the initial effects of starvation mode…
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Short answer: I don't.

Long answer: It's why I chose to abandon the MFP method. For me, the idea of only eating 1200 calories for the rest of my life made me want to cry. And this was going to be something I could do for the rest of my life. So I figured out my TDEE and took a 20% cut.

If you are trying to find ways to fill up, then I'd suggest eating as much protein as you can. Also foods with a lot of fibre will help keep you feeling full. Otherwise all I can suggest is to maybe set a smaller deficit and eat a little more (instead of trying to lose 2lbs/week maybe aim for 1lb). It'll take longer but you won't be as hungry.

Why would you think you would have to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life?

She's thinking more of a lifestyle choice, so 1200 for life to continuing staying fit (at some point though you would go into maitnence mode)

That still doesn't make any sense. Never mind.
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm m 5'1 and 126 pounds. And I eat between 1450 and 1800 calories a day. I'm still losing about a pound a week. I don't know how anyone can eat 1200 calories a day and not be hungry.
  • smjnwilliams
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and my doctor wants me to limit carbs to less than 200/day. I try for complex carbs. How many calories do you recommend for someone who needs to lose 80 or so pounds?
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Long answer: It's why I chose to abandon the MFP method. For me, the idea of only eating 1200 calories for the rest of my life made me want to cry. And this was going to be something I could do for the rest of my life. So I figured out my TDEE and took a 20% cut.

If you are trying to find ways to fill up, then I'd suggest eating as much protein as you can. Also foods with a lot of fibre will help keep you feeling full. Otherwise all I can suggest is to maybe set a smaller deficit and eat a little more (instead of trying to lose 2lbs/week maybe aim for 1lb). It'll take longer but you won't be as hungry.

Why would you think you would have to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life?

THANK YOU. I never understood this. >_<
  • Taneebear
    Options
    I have done a 1200 calorie eating plan on and off for the last 12 years. Originally I lost 45 lbs by using the 1200 calorie (at the time I was on a program called Prism), no bread, pasta, potatoes, corn or sugar. I lost that weight in 3 months. Now when I go up by 10 lbs I start again, not cutting out the carbs necessarily but watching my calories and it has helped me maintain. I focus my calories on as much protein as possible. My husband and I have eggs and bacon for breakfast, I have one egg, one piece of bacon, but don't have toast, also have some orange juice and coffee with cream. Lunches generally consist of leftovers from the night before, chicken breast, etc. or tuna salad, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, etc. Dinner is a lean meat, trying to avoid pasta, but I do have a little, like a 1/4 cup just so I can get the "taste" and not feel deprived. I always have a snack between meals, like a piece of fruit or low fat yogurt so my blood sugar doesn't tank. I find I don't ever feel stuffed but get used to the feeling of just not feeling hungry after eating. I haven't restricted myself to not eating red meat and I do let myself have a little carb-laden food once in a while. You can't always control where you are but its the gorging on it like I used to that I just don't do anymore. The first week is the hardest cutting back your calories, after that it gets much easier. I drink plenty of water, and when it is not -12 degrees outside (like it is now), I walk about 30 minutes a day a couple times a week. It is possible, you CAN do it, just focus on the foods that make you feel satisfied. The biggest problem I have now is that I'm 12 years older and it doesn't come off as fast as it did! Hang in there! You CAN do it. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

She's thinking more of a lifestyle choice, so 1200 for life to continuing staying fit (at some point though you would go into maitnence mode)

That still doesn't make any sense. Never mind.

I think the post right above this one shares why some would easily think you almost have to maintain on 1200, because many share stories like that above.
    No comment on how fast that 10 is gained, and obviously 1200 is a deficit, but there must be a fine line there with little movement at this point sadly.

I'd agree not everyone wants to get in to the position where they've burned off enough muscle mass they have to eat so little to maintain, but folks have done it and think it's great.
  • Megislosingit
    Options
    I never thought I would be able to stick to 1200 calories a day but I can usually do it by reminding myself what I want to accomplish. I know 1200 calories won't be for a lifetime. I am going to lose the weight I need to lose and then move to maintenance. With working out I can sometimes eat 1700 calories a day while still netting 1200.
    Another way I do it is because I don't usually eat breakfast, I know this isn't ideal, but it is just the sleep pattern I am in right now.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and my doctor wants me to limit carbs to less than 200/day. I try for complex carbs. How many calories do you recommend for someone who needs to lose 80 or so pounds?

You don't need other's recommendations, you need cold, hard facts driven by tried-and-true scientific calculations. Use the link below to calculate how many calories a day *you* specifically need using the parameters it requests, input that final number into MFP manually, and don't eat back the exercise calories (because the calculator already accounts for it). Then you have no more guesswork - you'll know exactly how much to eat. Private message me if you have any questions, I'll be happy to discuss.

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/tools/Calculator-Daily-Calorie.html
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options

The MFP method is set up so you eat back your exercise calories.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    I have a B.S. in exercise science and am a personal trainer. I will not recommend 1200 calories to anybody, nor a high fat/low carb diet.

at 1200 calories the body is usually in starvation mode, going back to it's survival instinct it will hold onto fat for future energy use because it doesn't know that food is readily available, instead it will get rid of lean body mass (muscle) which burns calories 24/7, thus making your body much less efficient throughout the day.

Carbs is both muscle and the brains preferred source of energy, mental and physical performance will drop with a lack of carbs. Although this is not to say to avoid fat either. A good macronutrient breakdown for weight loss is 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein. Protein also gives you the full feeling of fat but also helps your body hold onto its lean muscle mass.

you had me until starvation mode…you cannot be in starvation mode if you are eaten 1200 calories a day …you have to eat nothing for a 72 hour period to see the initial effects of starvation mode…

^^ Correct. It takes 72 hours before the metabolism starts to slow down.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

And this is why exercise science isn't nutrition...
  • shareces
    shareces Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1300 works for me..and im noticably losing. I believed if i ate right under 2000 and worked out alot , id build muscle and trim down. Nope. Major plateau. Good to reduce cals when slimming down. Then you add more once youve reached your ideal weight and try something new with your work out and tone. Just my thoughts
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd be one hungry mofo if I did, and I'm not nice when I'm hungry
  • MReckward
    Options
    I exercise to be able to eat a little more and have my net calories be 1200/day. I can't get any weight to come off if I don't do both.....also if you avoid simple carbohydrates and lean protein, it's a lot easier to stay within calories.
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first week at 1250 calories and it's working just fine. Lost three pounds and I'm not even hungry....of course I'm not very active, I just lay about and relax mostly, go for the occasional walk.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1300 daily. I am diabetic, so I do eat lower carb (approx 100 to 125 a day), higher protein (to make up for lower carbs. I eat 6 times a day, 3 main meals and 3 snacks. I have an open food diary, so take a peek.

If you eat the right foods, you get plenty of quanity for the calorie. Rainey
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options

According to your "BS" degree, I must be one stupid person, with no brains, no muscle etc. Sorry to disagree with you......I eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day. I eat 6 times a day too. 3 main meals and 3 snacks. I also eat lower carb (between 100 to 125 a day (not net carbs either), I eat a higher protein (approx 100 to 131 protein) I also eat mega amounts of foods. (It is the type of foods you eat that either will make you starve or feel overly full on 1200 calories) I am diabetic, so I have to eat lower carb, higher protein. I carried a 4.0 in college, I work a very "brainy" intellegent type job. I have a super fantastic memory. I also have muscles. Yup, they didn't melt away like you said. I also have more energy than I know what to do with (again, this is from the type of foods you eat) I work out every single day. Some days it is just a 30 minute walk, and other days, it is huge gym day of treadmill, body building machines, weights etc. (I have learned to mix up the workouts, that is what works the best for me) I eat very healthy, I do not diet, I did a life style change. I also do not eat my exercise calories back. If I feel overly hungry, yes I will eat more than the 1200 - 1300 calories, but I never go over 1500 and those are few and far between. This is working for me. I have lost quite a lot of weight already. So either I am not the norm, or your BS degree is exactly that... BS

Edited to post, I have an open food diary to all... Take a peek if you don't believe me on eating very healthy and lots of foods.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I Would have to change jobs and lead a more sedentary life for 1200 to be anywhere near enough for me. I had over 1200 calories for dinner last night...
  • smjnwilliams
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like I just kind of need to find what works for me through trial an error!