Confused Calorie Intake

Options
Hi. I have been logging my calories pretty decently for over a month. I would say 94% accuracy. What I was wondering is - I am keeping myself to a 1200 calorie goal. My Fitness Pal subtracts my burnt off exercise calories from my total calorie requirement. Am I still supposed to keep eating to get my 1200 calories a day? For instance, if I eat 650 calories by lunchtime and I work out for an hour on the elliptical trainer (burning off 450 calories), do I still have to eat 1000 calories? Does this make sense and can someone help me out, please?

Thanks,

Lori

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You should eat enough to net 1200 calories, yes. But keep in mind that MFP and the machines in general overestimate burn and unless you weigh and measure every single bit of food that goes into your mouth you may be underestimating.

My suggestion would be to invest in a food scale and a heart rate monitor so you can more accurately estimate calories in and calories burned. Also keep in mind that 1200 may not be enough if you work out a lot. Look into BMR and TDEE as they will help you understand and establish a reasonable calorie deficit for your goals.
  • ChristinaR419
    ChristinaR419 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat my 1200 calories a day, maybe a little more if I feel hungry still, but I let MFP do it's own thing when I work out and try not to pay attention to it. They only time I eat over 1200 is if I work out though, and usually I only go 100 - 200 over.

Feel free to add me if you need friends/support :)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    How is your weight loss going? A 3500 calorie deficit is equal to one pound. Over a month of counting, you should be able to estimate the accuracy.
  • PeaceLoveJoy2
    PeaceLoveJoy2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The little weight loss is why I am wondering if I am doing it wrong? I started at 226 and I am guessing when I get on the scale next Wed, it will be about 209, give or take. I can run a mile now, I can do 15 pushup, girl ones, but still :) and I can do 20 jack knives. I can tell there is a difference with me in that sense. Clothes wise, not so much. So basically I should just trust My Fitness Pal and stop eating when it tells me I have eaten my 1200 calories including adding my exercise?

Thanks,

Lori
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It looks like whatever you're doing is helping out. Trust your body more than the numbers right now. You've worked up to a mile and improved other exercises which is good. You don't have to take 1200 calories a day but consider it your high end. If you know you're eating 1200 and doing exercises then you'll be under which is the ultimate goal. Keep at it!