How much drinking effect your weight loss?

I joined MFP a month ago and just started reading the blogs out here and must say there are some helpful suggestions and motivation. Just a question to all the members here on how much does drinking effect ur weight loss goals. I am not a binge drinker but enjoy having 2-3 drinks everyday. I never accounted for the number of calories a drink as I thought it wouldn't be much since I am not really drinking beer (I just drink scotch on the rocks). After signing up on MFP I realized it easily adds up around 350 calories a day. Apart from the obvious calorie intake are there any other factors to be considered like a slow down to ur metabolism rate ? Has anyone continued to drink and still managed to lose weight ?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Alcohol contains a TON of sugar which adds to weight gain big time. I managed to lose my weight while still enjoying a few drinks but I limited it to just once or twice per week. If you're going to drink daily, I recommend to keeping it to just one glass a day. I know a few people who just cut out alcohol altogether (without working out or working on any other nutrition goals) and actually LOST weight.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    The affect alcohol will have on your metabolism is going to be small enough to not really concern yourself with. As long as you maintain a true caloric deficit, and meet your micro/macro nutrients, it doesn't matter where the other calories come from.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I drink all the alcohol... I never had a problem. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Alcohol contains a TON of sugar which adds to weight gain big time. I managed to lose my weight while still enjoying a few drinks but I limited it to just once or twice per week. If you're going to drink daily, I recommend to keeping it to just one glass a day. I know a few people who just cut out alcohol altogether (without working out or working on any other nutrition goals) and actually LOST weight.

No, it doesn't contain any sugar. Alcohol is actually a separate macro and is metabolized in the liver ahead of any food.
    It won't add to weight gain if you maintain a calorie deficit.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    I find a glass or two of red wine does the trick, as I also have a habit of having 1 - 2, and sometimes... 3 drinks a night.

A glass of red wine is usually around 120-140 cals, and usually two of them can take the edge off. If you get pretty lean, the daily alchohol will give you a little bit of bloat in my experience. An infrequent drink will have an inverse effect, and dry you right up the next day.

This coming from a beer enthusiest :).
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Trying to cut back but still do 3 or 4 Vodka and water a day. I'm losing but would like to pick up the pace.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member

No, it doesn't contain any sugar. Alcohol is actually a separate macro and is metabolized in the liver ahead of any food.
    It won't add to weight gain if you maintain a calorie deficit.

Oooooooh I was wondering why the BMF website tracks alcohol completely separately! Thank you for the insight. :)