Peanuts

Options
I've been enjoying my 20 roasted peanuts in shell each day but they are over 200 calories. I was wondering if I didn't eat those peanuts maybe I could have a veggie and hummus sandwich on flat bread and feel a bit more full?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sure could
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    swell!
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you feel :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    To the op: it depends on what you're looking for, peanuts are a good source of fats and dense calories, but that's about it. If you're looking to meet some sort of macro then making a switch to veggies, hummus, and flat bread is going to be a larger snack, but completely different when it comes to macros.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat about double that a day.. It fills me up, good for digestion and its comfort food that is actually really
    good for you.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

To the op: it depends on what you're looking for, peanuts are a good source of fats and dense calories, but that's about it. If you're looking to meet some sort of macro then making a switch to veggies, hummus, and flat bread is going to be a larger snack, but completely different when it comes to macros.

^This.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying my 20 roasted peanuts in shell each day but they are over 200 calories. I was wondering if I didn't eat those peanuts maybe I could have a veggie and hummus sandwich on flat bread and feel a bit more full?

Maybe so. For me, peanuts are my go-to snack to "feel full." Hummus is no more "low cal" than peanuts anyway. Nuts, seeds, and legumes are all fairly similar in macro-nutrients: high-fat/med-protein. Personal preference is the only real difference. I definitely prefer peanuts to hummus. *shrugs*
  • strunch
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance but what is a macro? I was just thinking that, for example, a bunch of spinach and cucumbers on some flat bread would be more filling than peanuts but maybe not. I agree peanuts are very healthy in moderation...I'm still new at this and experimenting. Thanks for the replies.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance but what is a macro? I was just thinking that, for example, a bunch of spinach and cucumbers on some flat bread would be more filling than peanuts but maybe not. I agree peanuts are very healthy in moderation...I'm still new at this and experimenting. Thanks for the replies.

Macros are protein, fat, and carbs

If you have trouble meeting your protein goal then peanuts help somewhat.....but not the best snack. I'm typically lower fat (than is healthy) ....so I add nuts here & there.

Veggies are going to be filling because they have fiber.....a whole grain flat bread will have fiber (and protein too)....experimenting is good. I don't stay full on just protein or just fiber.....a combination works for me.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    More volume might fill you up faster and give you more immediate satisfaction, but the higher amounts of fat and protein in peanuts (vs veggies and flatbread, which are going to be higher in carbs) might leave you feeling satisfied for a longer time. Try it out and see! And I agree that fitting your macros is important as well - getting enough protein and fat are important both for satiety as well as your health.

Also, consider tree nuts instead of peanuts once in awhile. Peanuts actually have a pretty stinking good nutrition profile, but, ounce for ounce, almonds (for example) will have about the same number of calories but a little more monounsaturated fat (the best kind) and a little more fiber.
  • strunch
    Options
    Great advice! I have to admit it's kind of fun calculating calories and experimenting with food. All these years I never knew you could lose weight and not be hungry.