Apple Cider Vinegar?? What?

Options
Okay my question is

Do people really drink 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with Water?

I was reading this book about diet "secrets" and this was one of them that was suggested to start your metabolism burning x3 ( also add 1 tablespoon of honey as its healthy for you)

do people REALLY do this? and if they do, did you notice anything? LOL

FYI- No I am not asking to do this myself, I was just curious if this is just BS

Replies

• tayloar
    tayloar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's an exaggeration, but it does have loads of health benefits. Really good to put on your hair and skin too!
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes, or make a hot tea with a cup of water and lemon with natural raw apple cider vinegar and honey. Not bad!

I don't know if it will help you lose weight but I heard that raw vinegar is generally good for your health.
  • leudey
    Options
    I do it!

The first time my husband suggested it I wanted to punch him in the face, now I love it!!

I'm not entirely sure it makes the metabolism faster but I know it helps me with water retention, therefore it could mimic a weight loss super food! I just like the taste, the fresh feeling and it just fixes so many things!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I drink a bottle of water with lemon, apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper. It always makes me feel full. Not sure about its effects on metabolism.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My grandparents did it and my dad probably still does, but not mixed with water - just a tablespoon of vinegar straight. My mom would make me do it when I had nasal congestion or nausea. I know the smell cleared my nasal passages. Don't know why it setteld my tummy but I know it worked. Maybe I should take it up daily...there are health benefits that have nothting to do with losing weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For weight loss, it's just BS.And it doesn't have an effect your metabolic rate. Very few things can effect your metabolic rate. Some will increase your TDEE, but you lucky if it increase it by 5 calories per day. For other stuff, I would still question if there is any legitimate health benefit.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2

There is some evidence that it helps for some things. I tried it, a few bottles worth. It never did much for me, but I don't think I have blood sugar issues and I imagine it's supposed to be an ongoing thing, not a couple months of use.

There also is a lot of evidence that fermented foods in general have broad health benefits.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/grace-suh-coscia-lac-diplom/fermented-foods_b_1220756.html
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Yuck! Maybe in my canned spinach I'd use it. Not for weight loss.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Supposedly it is supposed to help with digestion.

Me...I use it diluted as a hair rinse. It balances the ph and acts as a conditioner. Hair is soft and shiny :)

The raw unfiltered with the mother still has all the good stuff in it and works best.

Helping with weight loss? Idk.

Edited to add: I remember old timers putting it in their beans before eating...to keep from getting gas.