Flat, incline or decline bench press?

Options
Which one do you do? :flowerforyou:

My chest routine includes 3x15 supersets of flat bench bench presses with incline push ups, 3x15 incline chest flys & 3x15 assisted dips. I've never really seen anyone in the gym doing decline presses before hmm.

Also, what else do you all do on chest days? I'm getting pretty bored of my routine and I'm looking forward to switching things up a little. Thanks guys!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What to do depends on where you are in your development and what your current goals are. Otherwise it's just a bunch of random shish
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Bench Press mainly works chest, shoulders, & triceps.

Flat - Best of the 3. A grip that is not too wide but not too narrow will target the chest the most. Wide grip works shoulders more. Narrow grip works Triceps more.

Incline - Works Shoulders more due to the incline.

Decline - Not as much ROM so IMO not as effective as the other two.

Don't personally have a dedicated "Chest Day' but when I do work my chest it's usually Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press, Flyes, and/or Push Ups
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The thing with decline is you can push a lot more weight since you don't have to push it as far. We have people out the whoha doing decline on monday's it's really amusing actually.

I can't do it- it gives me shoulder issues.

As Leadfoot noted- incline is more shoulder driven.

Flat can be varied quiet a bit with grip and how you position on the bench. I'm a compound bencher- so arch- shoulders under me- push through the feet.

I hate benching at this point. Almost as much as I hate OHP. I just. bla.

But there is little need to do all three unless you are doing some crazy sculpting work.

I usually do a bench day-
    Bench
    Decline push ups with one hand up on a DB

Flat DB fly
    Cable Straight Fly
    Decline Fly (least that's how I was told it was called- not 100% on the name there but whatever)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like to keep things simple and basic. 47 chest moves is completely unnecessary. Flat, incline press. Dips, and maybe a fly of some sort. Pick 2-3 of those moves and be done.

At the moment 90% of my chest work is ring dips & ring push ups.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to do flat bench, OHP, and dips. I feel like I am hitting the entire spectrum that way.

Once in a while I will do incline press with dumbbells. And sometimes I will do the pec fly machine for assistance/isolation work.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i do flat bb, flat db, and bb incline for my bench presses.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do all three on my chest days! I start with flat barbell, then do incline dumbbell, the go to the pec deck, then do decline barbell, then finally do cable crossovers.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Here's my chest/shoulder day:

Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Front Raise
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise
    Dumbbell Fly
    Dumbbell Bent Over Delt Raise
    Pushups

3 sets of 20 reps, as heavy as I can go. I will alternate in the pec deck, and wall balls too.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe says incline is less effective (less work per pound) and decline is more dangerous (throat and head position). Since I work out alone and have pinned myself a few times, I wouldn't do decline. And since I want greater strength more than greater numbers, I pass on incline too. YMMV.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input you guys! Think I'll stick to flat and incline chest work and incorporate some cable crossovers, pec decks & lat raises (gotta admit I had to google some of the suggestions yall mentioned :blushing: )

For the record, I dread chest workouts hence the supersets in my routine. I'd never be caught dead doing 47 chest moves.

Thanks again for the awesome advice! :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe says incline is less effective (less work per pound) and decline is more dangerous (throat and head position). Since I work out alone and have pinned myself a few times, I wouldn't do decline. And since I want greater strength more than greater numbers, I pass on incline too. YMMV.

well it is- it's very shoulder driven- you are shifting the load.

So it's goal dependent. And yes- I would never decline any significant weight without a spotter. That's just crazy. LOL

For the record, I dread chest workouts hence the supersets in my routine. I'd never be caught dead doing 47 chest moves.
    yeah I don't even think I could NAME 47 chest moves LMAO

Back on the other hand- total bro split back- all in one day- I love back. I do ALL the back. ALL THE TIME. LMAO