My macros and calories don't match, should I be worried?

Options
I am going by my TDEE - 20% which is 1700 calories

I almost never reach 1700 calories, I normally hit about 1400 but my macros never match.

I reach 1400 and if I wanted to eat more to get to 1700, I would go over on one of the macros.

Is that something i should be worried about?

Or is it all calories in vs out?

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in versus calories out. Targets for protein, carbs, and fat are generally 'get at least this number' rather than 'don't go over this number', but it depends on your goals a little bit.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in versus calories out. Targets for protein, carbs, and fat are generally 'get at least this number' rather than 'don't go over this number', but it depends on your goals a little bit.

Well my goal is weight loss but I want a toned body, I dont want to end up skinny fat
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Macros are guidelines to help you choose what/how to eat. Since weightloss is mostly calories in vs calories out, it wouldn't make too much of a difference where/how you ate those calories.

That being said, let me divulge my take on Macros, and this may answer your question a little more thoroughly. Your body needs Fats and your body needs Proteins, Carbohydrats serve mainly as energy, but also in hormone regulation. These macros provide the body with nutrients that it needs to perform numerous functions. Both fats and proteins have what is called RDA - Recommended Dietary Allowences (Fat is about 0.35g/lb of body weight and protein is 0.8-1.0 g/lb of body weight - I'm pretty sure these are the up to date formulas? Can anyone else confirm?) Once you set up your macros to at the very least account for these values, you can set the remaining calories however you like. Generally, most people just stick to the 1g/lb for protein, and will either go high carbs lower fats or vice versa. Since excess fats aren't necessary since the minimum has already been met, you body will mostly just burn this as fuel as it would burn carbs. It's just up to you for which you would rather eat.

Just my 2 cents
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Well my goal is weight loss but I want a toned body, I dont want to end up skinny fat

Well that will come down to the type of exercise you do (i.e. you need to be doing resistance training) and getting enough protein.

That being said, let me divulge my take on Macros, and this may answer your question a little more thoroughly. Your body needs Fats and your body needs Proteins, Carbohydrats serve mainly as energy, but also in hormone regulation. These macros provide the body with nutrients that it needs to perform numerous functions. Both fats and proteins have what is called RDA - Recommended Dietary Allowences (Fat is about 0.35g/lb of body weight and protein is 0.8-1.0 g/lb of body weight - I'm pretty sure these are the up to date formulas? Can anyone else confirm?) Once you set up your macros to at the very least account for these values, you can set the remaining calories however you like. Generally, most people just stick to the 1g/lb for protein, and will either go high carbs lower fats or vice versa. Since excess fats aren't necessary since the minimum has already been met, you body will mostly just burn this as fuel as it would burn carbs. It's just up to you for which you would rather eat.

The RDAs vary depending on where you look. I'd say anywhere between 0.3g-0.5g per pound of bodyweight for fat. The amount of protein is often exaggerated. A lot of people say 1g per pound of bodyweight, or even up to 1.5g-2g, and it won't necessarily hurt if you do consume this much, but you don't need to. If you were weight training and trying to put on muscle, then around 0.8g-0.82g per pound of bodyweight is a good upper limit, although even that much may not be necessary.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would not stop eating 300 calories short of my goal because I hit one of my macros, I choose my deficit level to lose weight at a certain rate and I want to stick to that as much as possible.

Looks like you are hitting your fat macro and then stopping? If I had to choose one macro to focus most on, it would be protein. Protein consumption is very important in the preservation of lean mass as you lose weight. In the process of getting your protein in, letting fats and carbs shake out where they do is fine (assuming you are getting the minimum level of fats, which is not difficult for most).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Body composition determines that. Also, just hit close to your macro's. And it's ok to have carb loaded days if necessary. Essentially calories are more important than macros.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers guys!