How often do you log your food in a day?

Options

Replies

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I log it as I eat it.
  • hazardouskys
    hazardouskys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of the two. I pre-log my lunch that way I know exactly how many calories i'll be taking in since I usually am having to eat out for lunch but for breakfast and dinner and snacks I tend to log as I go just in case something changes so I don't forget to edit it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    In general I have an idea of what I will be eating, but I usually log it as I eat.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I log the next day the night before, but leave myself a couple hundred calories for extras/snacks and log those as I eat them.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I plan my food log the day before or in the morning

Fail to prepare and prepare to fail.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I log my foods in the morning after breakfast. Typically, dinner is already planned out and I have the same midday snacks so all that needs to be tweaked is what I'm having for lunch so I can fit my macros :) It's always possible to change though so I just make sure I know where I'm sitting calorie/fat/carb/protein wise between each meal.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I pre-log 3-6 days at a time, then just log in to MFP to check what I'm meant to have or make tweaks (if I run out of something or have an unexpected meal out, for example). On a daily basis the only things I log are my beer or wine in the evenings, and I don't even have that every day.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll prelog my dinner if I'm wanting to save calories for it. Usually though I just log on my phone as I go. I never save logging for night....I'd overeat for sure if I didn't know how many calories I had at any given time.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I will pre-log my breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack the night before when I prepare it. Then I log in again in the evening to log my dinner.

It's the easiest way for me to follow some structure, but still have the freedom to design my dinner according to what I feel like having in the moment. I find it pretty satisfying. =)
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I log as I go throughout the day. My days are so fast paced, they simply cannot be pre-planned down to the wire. I know what I plan to do and eat throughout the day but that doesn't always work out. Actually, it rarely works out. The only definite thing is my dinner because I cook every night.
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always log in the AM (or even the night before), because I plan my food for the day, and because I have a basic meal plan with only a few variables. For example, I do low-carb on Mon., Tues., Thurs. and Fri., so I have my low-carb meals and snacks saved and just log them. Same for the higher-carb days; those meals are saved and I just copy-paste. On the weekend, where I have more wiggle-room, I like to plan ahead by plugging in the non-variables (breakfast, veggies at lunch, salad at dinner, etc.) and see how many calories I have left to fill in the blanks.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I usually always log as I eat, unless I know for sure what I am having for all my meals.

I have to play around with my macros too, so sometimes I am updating all day!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I log food after meal is complete usually.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Every time before I eat something. I never know exactly how much of what I'm going to have anyway.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i log in the morning, after breakfast... i make my lunch for work the night before, so i know what that is to log in advance, and we generally have a menu of what's for dinner each day so i can log that in advance as well... the only thing that might change is the number of snacks depending on my cals/macros/how much exercise i do.

weekends i log as i eat.

^^This
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I log everything right before, during, or right after I eat it. Sometimes at a restaurant, I'll log before I eat then decide if I can have another helping etc. To me, you are less likely to mess up if you plan in advance, but I have an idea what to eat before each meal. So if you logged everything before dinner, you might see you are low on calcium and vitamin A. So I'll eat yogurt, milk, veggies, and lean protein so it comes out about right.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Right before or right after I eat. Sooooo normally 4-5 times a day.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I log before. If there are changes, I make the adjustments. Planning ahead helps me stay on track.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I log what I eat before I eat it, that way I can scan things if I need to. Thankfully most of what I eat is in my recents. It also helps me choose menu items when I take the kids out, yep I can have 3 tacos today! I stay disciplined this way. So far its working for me.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually log the night before and make appropriate changes the following day.