Suddenly can't remember what I eat!

Options
I've logged basically everything I've eaten for a year a half. Easy to do and helpful for me. Hit my weight loss goal (which I never expected to). This is the first time I've ever tried to lose weight (I'm 54).

All of a sudden I can't remember what I've eaten. Not that I don't still love food (I do). Or that I'm not eating great food (I am). Or that I'm hungry (I'm not). I just CAN'T REMEMBER IT.

Like I eat a rollup for lunch, go to log it 10 minutes later and remember that rollup and the crunchy part, but not what meat it had in it. Or remember eating a great dinner (last night), that we had sausage and kumquats and know I ate four or five other veggie things but not for the life of me remembering what. 10 minutes after the meal.

It just seems so odd. And sudden. Maybe my brain is full of more important things. Or I've had a stroke :).

Replies

• Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I wait until after I've eaten to log things. You might think I'm joking when I say this but I've been know to take a picture of my plate(before I dig in)with my smart phone. Otherwise I have to depend on my memory and that doesn't always work.
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    that's a great idea!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ah write it down....
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have a notepad on the refrigerator to jot things down if I am having one of those days where too many grams of this and that bounce around in my head and end up going missing.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion...pre log it before you eat it....Sometimes I switch up what I eat if I dont feel like eating or dont got that particular product on hand and thought I did. Then I readjust it afterwards but I get like that sometimes. Busy mom here so cant always get onto the site to rechange it so quickly then sometimes forget to then I relook the next day and be like oh I didnt have that oops lol
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The picture idea is genius. I had never thought about that even though I'm a visual person by nature.

I also pre-log everything too (and update if plans change).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I wait until after I've eaten to log things. You might think I'm joking when I say this but I've been know to take a picture of my plate(before I dig in)with my smart phone. Otherwise I have to depend on my memory and that doesn't always work.

I do that at restaurants if I don't want to be rude.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This does not seem good. Pre-logging is the best solution there is. Keep track of your time and it will be just fine.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    never had this problem because i pre-log everything but i often forget how much my food weighs when i put it on the scale.. i tell myself ill remember and log it right after i finish making everything and eating it, then once im done all the numbers get mixed up in my head :huh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your meals and stick to that or log just before you eat something
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    never had this problem because i pre-log everything but i often forget how much my food weighs when i put it on the scale.. i tell myself ill remember and log it right after i finish making everything and eating it, then once im done all the numbers get mixed up in my head :huh:

I have had this problem before. I keep a magnetic pad of paper on the side of my fridge with a pen. As I weigh I write the weights with the item down. Once I am done with a recipe or meal I rip off my paper and go log it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your logging tips. All good ones, although not what I do (I log immediately after I eat 90% of the time and that's worked well for me).

That was not the point of my OP, though, actually. What's weird is that I literally can't remember my food. I simply found that an odd phenomenon because it came on so suddenly. It went into my mouth but never went from sensory register to short or long term memory. People talk about eating mechanically, but I have never done that. It is an odd sensation.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your logging tips. All good ones, although not what I do (I log immediately after I eat 90% of the time and that's worked well for me).

That was not the point of my OP, though, actually. What's weird is that I literally can't remember my food. I simply found that an odd phenomenon because it came on so suddenly. It went into my mouth but never went from sensory register to short or long term memory. People talk about eating mechanically, but I have never done that. It is an odd sensation.

Im not sure but is this a medical issue? Maybe perhaps get it checked out