Holiday grazing

Options
What is it about the stretch of time from Thanksgiving to Christmas that sends us into a frenzy of rationalization of overeating? I know I shouldn't, and yet I find that I do. Or did, because as of today I just can't. Yes, all my delicious favorites are out there now: cranberry-orange bread from Wegmans, free cookie plates fron vendors, our company grazing day (grazing brings an image of cows, which I have felt like lately. Udderly unacceptabe), Sam Adams Winter Lager, Blue Moon Abbey Ale, Shiner Holiday Cheer, beer upon beer upon beer (mmmmm...beer...), which goes really good with a variety of unhealthy snacks. How do we stop the insanity?!?!?!?!

Your thoughts, my MFPeeps?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love the holidays for the food and togetherness...

I don't graze....I eat my meals and snacks and log it all.

To be frank for me with Christmas coming I cook...all the time. From cookies and sweets to bread (shredded wheat brown bread and corn bread) to pies and ham/turkey etc.

I drink my vodka and have fun with the family and friends. For example today we have a potluck at work....I am eating lunch here..but will watch my portions and log it best I can.

You either want it or you don't.....comes down to that simple phrase.

My goal is maintenance or below from Dec 20th to January 4th (back to work)....

So my thoughts don't graze, eat the food, make room for the treats and most of all do not beat yourself up for slipping once in a while...it's not gonna kill you.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well, I log everything as soon as I'm done eating it. So if I were to graze, I would be on my phone all the time trying to log foods. I don't want to be on my phone lots or looking up foods all the time, so I just don't eat all day long.

That's not to say I don't treat myself. I stick to one or two foods/snacks that I think rock my world and have lots of it. Then I put the plate down and don't go back in the kitchen for more.
  • atibrat
    atibrat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do not know if you would call it grazing but I was moving a long well until right before Thanksgiving and now luckily I am maintaining but there are so many foods that are not around the rest of the year and I find myself wanting some baileys and egg nog because I am in the Holiday spirit. I am trying to do the best I can and trying to log everything. I am probably not going to lose anything from now through Christmas or New Years but I hopefully will not gain the weight I would if I was not aware of the calories I was consuming. I knew Baileys was full of calories but OMG I had no idea just how many and so a sip here and there is all I am doing. So MFP helps and I think if you can maintain though this month you are ahead of the game.