Yummy Avocado Recipes? Please share.

Options
SO I went to Costco and bought a bag of avocados because "They're healthy" and when I get home I find out that they're also pretty gross. IMO. So I am not going to throw out a whole bag but what can I do with them that might mask their taste a bit? I'm making a grilled cheese tonight with bacon and cheese, avocado and spinach so we'll see how that goes.

Replies

• Make a guacamole
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i used to hate avocados, but probably within the last year i've learned to enjoy them. i still can't eat big chunks of plain avocado, but i like them mashed up. when i first started eating them i would mash them with cream cheese and herbs to spread on sandwiches and wraps. the ratio of avocado to cheese had shifted in the avocado's favor as i've come to enjoy it more. i would also mash it up with some mayo, a squeeze of lemon, some garlic, black pepper, and herbs for use in a tofu egg salad - but you could do the same thing with eggs instead of tofu. i've also blended avocado in a roux with some sharp cheese to make an alfredo style sauce and it was pretty damn amazing.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just chop them up with tomatoes/salad and/or boiled eggs - and/or some chilli/ olives. I like them though so don't try to blend them in. Sorry cant be any more help
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I mix them in smoothies, sometimes add them to grilled cheese sandwiches. I also make Chocolate pudding where the main ingredient is Avocado.. it's awesome!! If you want to try the recipe, I'll try and find it, but Idk if you would be up to try it that way if you're not an Avocado person. Personally, I could eat one like an apple. :smile:
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I often eat them with just a sprinkling of salt and red pepper flakes. You can add them to a salads, sandwiches, smoothies, etc.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    When they're ripe, smash up the avocados and substitute it for mayo in a chicken salad sandwich. Add a little salsa in there if you think it needs a little kick.
  • brownbeauty2013
    brownbeauty2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try doing a salsa. Add salt, pepper, dash, whatever seasonings you like, red onions, tomatoes and that can be salsa or a guacamole. Avocados tend to take on the taste of what you mix it with. It's yummy with bacon and tomatoes so play around and see what suits you. Try looking on Pinterest.com there are great recipes on this site, just type in avocados.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    avocado and garlic in the food processor makes an awesome pasta sauce.
    mashed in place of mayo in egg salad
  • nordlibris
    Options
    Like a lot of things we throw into our bodies, avocados are an acquired taste. Personally I thought they tasted like grassy butter when I first started to introduce them to my diet, but over time I have learned to like them; A bit like how I learned to like coffee, actually. At first I would add bits to salads, or eat half an avocado as a restitution snack, but now I use them all the time. PS: seasonings that add umami flavour ought to help you learn to like the avocado. PPS: it will take time, so be patient.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I used to hate avocados (more the texture than the taste) but have grown to love them. I'll slice them up and eat them with a little salt now!! They're great in smoothies, as someone has already mentioned. I used 1/2 of one in place of mayo for chicken salad yesterday. I added some fresh cilantro & a squeeze of lime juice, and it was great! I also like them on sandwiches, salads, or as a topping for beans & rice.

Here is a recipe we enjoy in the summer:

Grilled Avocados
    (Recipe from Better Homes & Gardens)

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    2 large ripe avocados, halved, seeded, and peeled (about 1 lb. total)
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup bottled picante sauce (We don't like picante sauce. Instead, we use some drained Rotel tomatoes, kicked up with some diced fresh jalapenos.)
    1 ounce Monterey Jack or farmer cheese, shredded or crumbled (1/4 cup)
    Snipped fresh cilantro
    Salad greens (optional)
    Bottled picante sauce (optional)
    Dairy sour cream (optional)

Stir together olive oil and lime juice. Brush avocados all over with olive oil mixture. Sprinkle cut sides of avocados with salt.

For a charcoal grill, grill avocado halves, cut side down, on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 5 minutes or until browned. Turn avocado halves, cut side up. Fill centers of avocado halves with the 1/4 cup picante sauce and shredded cheese. Cover grill and grill about 5 minutes more or until cheese begins to melt. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place avocado halves on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)

Remove avocados from grill. Sprinkle tops of avocado halves with snipped cilantro. If desired, serve on a bed of salad greens with additional picante sauce and sour cream.
  • HLaRochelle
    Options
    This is one of my favourites - it's very filling: <a href="http://theinspiredhome.org/scrumptious-saturday-creamy-avocado-pasta/">Creamy Avocado Pasta</a>
    I have substitued rice pasta if you're a gluten-freer - it works just as well.
  • BaconWagon
    BaconWagon Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Really really simple :

Cut it in half, add some sugar on top and mash them together = Heaven
  • meghanic
    Options
    bump!
  • meghanic
    Options
    This is one of my favourites - it's very filling: <a href="http://theinspiredhome.org/scrumptious-saturday-creamy-avocado-pasta/">Creamy Avocado Pasta</a>
    I have substitued rice pasta if you're a gluten-freer - it works just as well.

This recipe looks awesome! Do you have any idea what the nutritional info is?
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Make deviled eggs and use half yolk and have avocado for the filling (plus what ever else you put in your deviled eggs)
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love avocado, I just eat them with a fork honestly haha. Put them in salads! Or make guacamole.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I put almond butter on mine, then use a spoon :)
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When they're ripe, smash up the avocados and substitute it for mayo in a chicken salad sandwich. Add a little salsa in there if you think it needs a little kick.

this is what I do. I spread mashed avocado on my sandwiches instead of mayo. you really can't tell the difference; I'd even venture to say that it tastes better because it's more creamy.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Avocado Fries!!!! I don't eat as a replacement for regular fries, btw...but I love crunchy foods.

I dip them in eggs, roll them in panko and spices and pan fry them or bake. Dip in aoli or honey mustard and they're so yummy.