Hypothyroidism: Does it Effect What you Should Eat?

Options
Although I have done well losing weight, my progress has slowed down to almost nil. I'm frustrated. I've tried both 40/30/30 and low carb-high protein with mixed results (i.e. I lose a little to start, then nil.) I weigh/measure food, record (although sometimes on paper vs. here), drink water, get low impact exercise each day, and rarely go over calories (per MFP for 2 pounds loss/week).

I've been reading different ways to lose weight with Hypothyroidism and they've very conflicting: low carb-high protein vs. high carb (although not refined sugar) - low protein...even less water than 8+ cups per day...adding iodine...no low calorie diets but over 1200 OK or 1500.

I am on a medication, and labs show no insulin resistance issues (as is common).

So, any suggestions? What have you read? What's worked?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Here is a good group you might want to join. From the little experience i have, it's not so much about the make up of the calories (unless insulin resistant) but the amount of calories. I have seen a lot of people with hypothyroidism with BMR's around 1000 which doesn't give you much room for error. The question is, what are you eating now? If you open your diary we can take a look.

What kind of workouts do you do?
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im noy sure if I have hypothyroidism but it runs in my family and I realized the older I get the chances are Ill start to suffer from it eventually....You know Kelp helps with regulating it. That is if you arent on the meds yet and dont want to be stuck taking meds for the rest of your life either....I havent taken it in a while but also be careful on how much you take of it cuz too much Iodine isnt healthy for the body
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I lost fine on a high carb diet ewven before I was on meds. Pretty sure it's just about how much you eat.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i have hypo thyroid got diagnosed in 2011 after being put on synthroid i started eating well and did zumba 5x a week drop 20 lbs then moved on to insanity and drop 15 lbs in the first month which help me reach my goal weight last year march i got pregnant in july and this summer i decided to get off my meds because they just kept increasing dosage and i didnt want my body to rely on them i started insanity nov4 and have drop 9 lbs in a month i did follow meal plan first 2 wks but now i just tweaked it and did my own i have been drinking 10-15 cups of water a day though due to high sodium in some foods so its possible it prob just takes us longer then usual and if your closer to a healthy weight it will slow down even more
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    i have hypo thyroid got diagnosed in 2011 after being put on synthroid i started eating well and did zumba 5x a week drop 20 lbs then moved on to insanity and drop 15 lbs in the first month which help me reach my goal weight last year march i got pregnant in july and this summer i decided to get off my meds because they just kept increasing dosage and i didnt want my body to rely on them i started insanity nov4 and have drop 9 lbs in a month i did follow meal plan first 2 wks but now i just tweaked it and did my own i have been drinking 10-15 cups of water a day though due to high sodium in some foods so its possible it prob just takes us longer then usual and if your closer to a healthy weight it will slow down even more

It's really not smart to go off your meds like that. Hypothyroidism isn't just about weight so while its great that you continued to lose, it doesn't mean you don't need your meds.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed over 10 years ago. Losing is slow but definitely doable. I eat at least a few brazil nuts everyday for the selenium. My macros are 45/25/30 which seems to work best for me and eating around 1600 calories and I really NEED to exercise to keep the weight loss going. Good luck you can do it.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and have been taking synthroid for about 1.5 years. I honestly don't think there is any certain set of macros that will help those with hypothyroidism lose weight. I've never had much trouble shedding the pounds no matter what I was at macro-wise. I do net a little over 1200 calories a day which has helped me stay on track. I think as long as you're at a caloric deficit, the weight should come off. Good luck!
  • jendonehoo
    jendonehoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I'm on 100 mcg of Thyradin (that's the Japanese synthroid). I noticed that when I moved here and switched to Thyradin from Levothyroxine, I felt much better, so maybe first, see if there's another formulation you can take. Each formulation is slightly different.

Also, MFP has me on 1200 calories a day. I go over sometimes, but not ridiculously. I generally lose 1-4 pounds per month. The best exercise for me is bicycling! I never knew how to ride one until this summer (I learned at age 29 - special, I know). I have noticed, though, that bicycling is super gentle on my joints, and it burns tons of calories. It also has toned me all over. I don't have a car (or a license that I can use in Japan), so I ride my bike or walk everywhere. I started MFP in June and I have lost 13 kilograms (almost 29 pounds). So, basically, at 5'5", I was 163 lbs when I started, and now I'm like 134. (I was 173 when I moved to Japan 4 months prior to MFP, and before switching medications). The unfortunate part is that I have an hourglass type figure, and so now none of my pants fit and Japanese pants are made for straight-shaped people. :'( SO, I look like a hobo.

I eat a vegetarian diet, and I generally don't eat snacks on weekdays. (I teach, and I am with the kids all day, including lunch, so I can't snack. As a teacher in Japan, I'm also expected to have a healthy lunch to be a good model for my students). Generally, my breakfast is 1 scrambled egg and toast with tea. My lunch is either some sort of bean soup/stew or a bean burrito with unsweetened yogurt with 1 Tbs jam and a fruit. My dinner is normally a protein (tofu, beans, or cheese), a salad or vegetable, and a grain (pita, tortilla, bread, rice, pasta). I usually have a few alcoholic drinks daily, and I drink water, tea, and coffee with milk but no sugar throughout the day. On the weekends, I eat whatever I want and make sure to get a really good bike ride/walk in there to make up for the calories.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Once I reached an optimal dose on Synthroid and began to religiously weigh my food, I averaged a little over a pound per week weightloss. Excluding trigger foods, I ate whatever I wanted, just less of it.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It doesn't effect your weight if you take your pills and eat moderate amount of food.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good to know that others have had great success!

I am just concerned with my very sow weight loss. I did just have more blood work done to see where my thyroid levels are at.