counting calories???

okay I'm super confused on this counting calorie thing 5 different websites including mfp gave me differ calorie intake numbers. which one do i go by? I know i should go by mfp but i have only lost one pound.

Replies

• _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    What is your height, weight, age?

Do you exercise regularly? What is your normal day like (desk job, retail, nurse)?

All this and more need to be addressed when finding the right balance.

You should eat a LEAST your BMR, but again - lots of factors to take into consideration.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    MFP works a little bit differently from other calorie counters on the web because it adds more calories after you log your exercise. Most calorie counters just figure it into the original numbers.

But it's important to remember that they're all just estimates. And they're only as good as the numbers you plug into them. If you aren't accurately weighing/measuring your food you may not get the results you want. Pick one and stick with it for a month (you need to give your body time to adjust to see if it's working). If you don't like your results then you can adjust from there. Eat a little more or a little less until you hit your sweet spot.

I'll ask though, how long did it take you to lose that first pound?
  • BobbiC08
    BobbiC08 Posts: 10 Member
    it took me about 3 weeks to lose that one pound and i was excited that i lost it. but no im not losing nothing. im trying my best with what i got but i just aint seeing the results.
  • Are you using a scale to measure your food? I weigh almost EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth except for water and pickles! I also eat below my MFP recommendation.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    okay I'm super confused on this counting calorie thing 5 different websites including mfp gave me differ calorie intake numbers. which one do i go by? I know i should go by mfp but i have only lost one pound.

They're all estimates. Just pick one, and log for a few weeks. Pick the lowest one of the bunch, if you like.

The results will tell you whether you need to adjust up or down.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    How different are they? If you are honest with your stats and activity level, MFP should give a good goal. Make sure you are also logging your food honestly. How do you measured your food portions? You could be eating more than hours realize if you just eyeball it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

first and foremost you need to understand each tool and what method each tool is using; there are two primary methods for calorie counting...NEAT and TDEE.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator...this means that your calorie goal is going to be based on an activity level that only includes your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...this is your BMR plus your day to day general activity...exercise is NOT included in your NEAT. MFP gives you a deficit of your NEAT to lose weight and then gives you credit for exercise after you perform it and log it which is why you get your exercise calories to eat back.

Most other calculators are TDEE method (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculators and these will include some estimate of your exercise activity in your activity level. With TDEE, all activity is accounted for and the formula assumes that indeed, you will be performing your exercise activity with the frequency noted when you set your activity level. A TDEE calculator would then cut from that number to give you your weight loss calorie goal. As you exercise estimate is included up front in the calculation, you would NOT eat back exercise calories with this method; they are already accounted for in your activity level.

It is also important to note your loss rate goal and make sure you're comparing apples to apples. A lot of people are dumbfounded when comparing calculators due to the fact that they're comparing a 2 Lb per week loss rate with MFP to a 20% cut from TDEE...where a 20% cut from TDEE is closer to a 1 Lb per week loss rate goal and a difference of about 500 calories right there.

The method you ultimately choose is not as important as being consistent and as precise as possible. Calorie counting requires precision...just eyeballing portions and servings can often result in calorie creep...and when you're talking about a 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 Lb per week, you don't really have a whole lot of margin for error...a handful of nuts that go unaccounted for can easily cut that deficit in half.

when it's not working, 9x10 the individual is underestimating intake and/or overestimating burn. Just pick one and be consistent and as precise as possible. Also realize that weight loss is not fast...you didn't put it on overnight, but everyone wants it off overnight...doesn't work that way...it's a long and slow slug fest.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    If I haven't exercised in a great long time, then I diet + exercise...I may lost a pound or two at the beginning (and weight fluctuates more than a pound up or down daily so a one lb change may not even be a change at all), but I realize that I am gaining muscle mass. And muscle mass per cubic inch weight more than fat per cubic inch, so you may be losing fat and gaining muscle.

I weigh after the morning "purge" of #1 and #2, after shower, before breakfast. Over time, I can see if there is a downward trend, upward trend, or weight stagnation. I also measure once a week arms, forearms, shoulder, waist, hips, and thigh. A gain in mass with a stagnant weight means fat loss, a gain in mass and a weight loss means fat loss, and a stagnant mass size and a gain in weight means we just had Thanksgiving.