Trying to work around allergies.

Options
So to my knowledge im allergic to
Romaine lettuce. Celery, cucumbers, Bananas, all types of melons, Either way, this makes it almost impossible to go some where and order a salad, I even have to be careful that i watch when the guys from subway make me a sub. So what im wondering is, Any of you have some alternative ideas so i can still be eating my raw veggies? Thanks!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    How are you with baby spinach? Arugula? Also, a salad doesn't have to have a leaf - it can just be a bunch of other vegetables tossed together.

You should still be able to create a yummy salad even with your allergies. Some of my favorite ingredients are tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, artichokes, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, apples, and radishes, but there are tons others. Pick your favorites and toss 'em up.

Here are a few more ideas:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20497742,00.html
  • CaitsACake
    CaitsACake Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much :)
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Green leaf lettuce, iceberg, spinach, kale, carrots, peas, peppers, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, beets....there's tons of options out there beyond romaine lettuce and cucumbers.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you are OK with Spinach its very easy to substitute FRESH spinach for the lettuce. For some odd toppings that go very well with the spinach you can try Fresh Blueberries, or almonds with all your fresh veggies!
    Here is my Salad recipe, If your interested. The only thing in it you may have a problem with is the Lettuce, If Iceberg is a problem, but the recipe would be fine to just do two bags of spinach instead. I put a lot of stuff in it and make it in a huge restaurant style chili pot to eat over the next few days. It makes 8 Servings at 397 Calories a serving. (two large bowls of Salad!)
    Giorgio - Mushrooms Sliced Fresh 'n Clean, 1 container
    Onions - Sweet, raw, 1 onion
    Bell Pepper, Green - One Raw Medium, 2 medium
    Marketside - Fresh Spinach 1 container
    Dole - Shredded Iceberg Lettuce, 1 container
    Carrots - Shredded, 10.5 Ounces
    Hanover - Light Red Kidney Beans, 2 container (15.2 oz (130g per 4.6) ea.)
    Oscar Mayer - Bacon Lower Sodium 30% Less Sodium , 1 container (20 skillet cooked slices (14g) ea.)
    Egg - Hard-Boiled (5), 6 Egg (50g)
    Kraft - Cheddar Shredded , 1 container (2 cups ea.)

If you'll notice I don't use bacon bits, but freshly cooked bacon; It tastes so much better if you go though the extra work and make fresh bacon. <3

I never use Cucumbers on our salads because my hubby is allergic, and celery just doesn't go well in salads.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So to my knowledge im allergic to
    Romaine lettuce. Celery, cucumbers, Bananas, all types of melons, Either way, this makes it almost impossible to go some where and order a salad, I even have to be careful that i watch when the guys from subway make me a sub. So what im wondering is, Any of you have some alternative ideas so i can still be eating my raw veggies? Thanks!

have you had a skin prick test to check with other fruit and veggies you are allergic to?