Zig Zag dieting

Options
I want to ask some advice on zig-zag dieting - I have followed a training and diet plan for 3 months which included carb cycling (5 low days and 2 high days in a week). But I read somewhere it was better to zig-zag your high carb low carb days if your body fat is 23% or under. So the pattern is more like this: 2 high 2 low 2 high 3 low, etc. But never more than 3 low days in a row. This is meant to be more effective?

When I carb cycled, I was increasing my carbs on the high days, but my protein and fats remained the same. However on the zig zag diet plans it suggests that all the macros change on high days, so as the carbs become high, the protein and fats becomes lower. Is this recommended?

My weight is around 55kg and height is 166cm, just in case anyone asks.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's unnecessary, maintain a deficit and don't complicate it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the arm pic means you are lifting.

That's where the carb-cycling can come in to play better, possibly getting better results from lifting under a deficit.

But it's timed in use with your recovery time, 24 hrs post workout, not just random days.

Here is one such recommendation, you'll notice the protein is kept at recommended levels all the time, but the fat and carbs trade depending on when eaten.
    You'll also notice this plan calorie cycles too, based on amount of BF%.

http://liftstuff.blogspot.ca/2012/10/the-skinny-fat-annihilation-protocol.html

It's a lot of work to get setup, but if you have a constant routine, and eat pretty constant too, might as well see if it helps, won't hurt.
    But if it just causes too much complication as mentioned and bad or difficult adherence, probably not worth it.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the arm pic means you are lifting.

That's where the carb-cycling can come in to play better, possibly getting better results from lifting under a deficit.

But it's timed in use with your recovery time, 24 hrs post workout, not just random days.

Here is one such recommendation, you'll notice the protein is kept at recommended levels all the time, but the fat and carbs trade depending on when eaten.
    You'll also notice this plan calorie cycles too, based on amount of BF%.

http://liftstuff.blogspot.ca/2012/10/the-skinny-fat-annihilation-protocol.html

It's a lot of work to get setup, but if you have a constant routine, and eat pretty constant too, might as well see if it helps, won't hurt.
    But if it just causes too much complication as mentioned and bad or difficult adherence, probably not worth it.

Thanks for the link - some useful stuff there. Yes I am lifting 3-4 times a week. I've had pretty consistent results so far, but I think I may have hit a plateau. I've only been following a diet plan since September so not that long really. I think you're right consistency is the key here!