How many hours a day is it OK to work out?

Options
I have an 8hr work day where I'm mostly sitting. And the commuting back and forth adds another 1.5 hours of sitting basically.

I try to work out for 1hr per day (cardio and strength training) but am now at the point where I feel that's not enough to make up for all my sitting.

I encountered this question elsewhere a while ago, and some fitness expert basically retorted "if it's okay for you to sit down for hours at a time during the day, how it is NOT okay to work out for hours at a time too?"

But at what point does working out for too long tax your body? How long is long enough?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First off, it isn't okay to sit for hours at a time. In fact, it is probably the worst thing you can do. But we do it because it is how it is at work, right? I am fortunate enough to have gotten an adjustable desk at work. I move from sitting (on a stability ball) to standing and back several times during the day.

As for working out for hours, I wouldn't advise it. Exercise causes stress on your body (unless you're just casually walking). Done over an extended period of time, you risk chronic hormone issues. Instead of focusing on working out longer, try working out harder. If you get your intensity up, you'll come to a point where you can't go longer. And then you need to feed and rest so your body can rebuild.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There in reality is no definitive answer. It depends on your goals, diet, genetics and your body and many other variable factors. Professional sportsman can train for many hours in a day but that is there full time job and they have the back up of many professionals to monitor them. In the end it comes down to using some common sense along with your goals
  • eugovogue
    Options
    Instead of focusing on working out longer, try working out harder. If you get your intensity up, you'll come to a point where you can't go longer. And then you need to feed and rest so your body can rebuild.

Yes, this is what I have been doing. I just wanted to know if that alone suffices given my sedentary office landscape.
    I'll just have to schedule in more time in my work day to walk around. Maybe take a walk for every hour I'm sitting. Eureka, solved my own problem.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Usually they say anything over an hour can be harmful. Testosterone drops, cortisol rises. I'd rather push it hard for an hour than work out for 3 hours. I also work a desk job, but it doesn't stop me from getting in shape. I lift hard during my lunch hour and watch what I eat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Try to add more movement to your day- I'm paranoid about getting the dreaded 'secretary' spread.

I have worked hard for the booty- I don't want to lose it.

There really is no way to ACTUALLY counter the affects of 8 hrs sitting. The studies prove that even if you are an avid athlete/fitness junkie/weekend warrior- if you have a 'traditional desk job' you still technically qualify as a sedentary person- just because 8 rs a day is a LOT to just SIT.

Things I do to combat this:
    1)- drink lots of water- more water = more bathroom trips
    2.) I get up to go talk to my coworkers
    3.) Stability ball for a chair- more movement than JUST sitting
    4.) I make it a point to do push ups/squats/lunges during my day
    5.) set an alarm every hour to go off so you can get up and do something (difficult if you attend a lot of meetings)

I typically work out for 3-4 hrs a day. I do a lifting session that's 60-75 minutes long and then I have dance training. It's not full bore for hours on end- but I do work hard.

If you can get a desk that raises and lowers- that's great- I got to use one for a month- I made it a point to stand for at least half my day- harder than you think when you are tired- but it's worth it.

Otherwise- just find reasons to get up more- take phone calls standing- walk to your coworker- whatever- anything to just DO more during your day.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Theoretically all day if the intensity is low enough.

It really depends on a lot of things to include what you are hoping to achieve, your current level of conditioning and so on.

However, in broad terms for a successful training regime you have to balance duration, frequency, intensity and recovery in the appropriate measures to get the best out of it.
  • eugovogue
    Options

5.) set an alarm every hour to go off so you can get up and do something (difficult if you attend a lot of meetings)

Thanks! I do 2 of these already. I'm a massive herbal tea drinker (no milk, no sugar) and I do find myself having to go to the bathroom a lot. I'll make it a point to go to the further bathroom now. And I def get up and chit chat with my co workers.

I'll try 4 and 5 in the meantime, and try to scheme about how I will get a huge stability ball in here without looking silly (I have to take public trans haha)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Thanks! I do 2 of these already. I'm a massive herbal tea drinker (no milk, no sugar) and I do find myself having to go to the bathroom a lot. I'll make it a point to go to the further bathroom now. And I def get up and chit chat with my co workers.

I'll try 4 and 5 in the meantime, and try to scheme about how I will get a huge stability ball in here without looking silly (I have to take public trans haha)

dont' inflate it till you get to work.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

dont' inflate it till you get to work.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy
    This. I have a stability ball for a chair, and a regular ergonomic office chair, and a keyboard/mouse rest that raises and lowers to let me stand or sit. I found out recently though, that if you don't periodically sit in the chair you'll probably get sore from doing what seems like nothing. Well, I was crawling around under my desk a lot, but still... When it came time to sit and all I had was a ball and a filing cabinet/bench, I was so sore the next day!