HELP, how to eat 2330 cal and stay under my sodium intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Don't add salt to anything. Stock up on lean protein, vegetables, whole grains (quinoa, corn, oats), and when you're craving sweet things try making homemade kettle corn (popcorn satisfies so you can cook/eat less of it) or sweet potato mash etc.

YUMMY! Good luck :)

If you're eating "real" food with very little processed/packaged food, you do actually need to add salt or you don't get enough. Not enough salt is just as bad as too much! Using a good quality salt is important - the standard table salt is refined and void of any goodness.
  • globe1234
    Options
    You need to look in really specific places. Start with very low sodium basics: unsalted Ezekiel bread, oatmeal, shredded wheat (all 0 sodium), most unsalted nuts and nut butters, corn tortillas, swiss cheese, most fresh vegetables and fruits.

Put "no salt added" in the search box, or see http://salt.globe1234.com for more suggestions. Stay away from "low sodium" and "reduced sodium" which are too high.

Milk, eggs and meats, even when cooked at home, have 50-150 mg sodium per serving, so those are unavoidable. That's why you need to use the salt-free basics, to keep the total down.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Canned soup and deli meat will get you every time. Drain canned veggies and refill can with water. Leave to soak for 10 min to cut salt further. Avoid frozen veg that are salted.
  • Andy_Chow
    Options
    Deli meats are killer. So are stuff that make meat taste good (like soy sauce, gochujang, rubs).

I'm not sure. If you find a way let me know.

I think sodium/potassium ratio is more important than sodium level. Most vegetables have more potassium than sodium.