Protein

Options
Is there such a thing as too much protein? And if so, what are the harmful effects of that?

Replies

• djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would say there is but it would be hard to reach it. I think you would feel too full before you ate too much protein. I have heard that people with kidney problems had trouble wth protein, so maybe something like that would happen to a regular person who ate to much protein. Not sure.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    To my understanding, unless you have kidney issues, excess protein will just be peed out. Yay body.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I would say there is but it would be hard to reach it. I think you would feel too full before you ate too much protein. I have heard that people with kidney problems had trouble wth protein, so maybe something like that would happen to a regular person who ate to much protein. Not sure.
    ^This. It would be extremely difficult for a person with healthy, functioning kidneys to get "too much" protein while staying within typically recommended caloric goals. A person would essentially need to fill all his/her daily calories on whey powder and beef jerky.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    beef jerky.

Mmmmm, beef jerkey :love:
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    To my understanding, unless you have kidney issues, excess protein will just be peed out. Yay body.

Protein in urine is known as Proteinuria...this is bad. Protein should remain in the blood. If it makes it into your urine your kidney's filtering mechanism is damage.

Excess protein will be converted into energy or fat.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Protein in urine is known as Proteinuria...this is bad. Protein should remain in the blood. If it makes it into your urine your kidney's filtering mechanism is damage.

Okay, maybe not pee but it is discarded by the body. Excess protein is not stored as fat if it can't be used, assuming this person is eating at a deficit.

http://nutridylan.com/2013/06/07/can-excess-protein-be-stored-as-body-fat/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Okay, maybe not pee but it is discarded by the body. Excess protein is not stored as fat if it can't be used, assuming this person is eating at a deficit.

Deleted because I wasn't doing a good job explaining what I meant.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Oh absolutely...actually to have protein become fat is fairly difficult for the body to do and there would have to be extreme circumstances for it to occur.