BodyPump as weightlifting

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Everyone here (nearly) also parrots a ton of outright wrong myth. But hey, thanks for the advice! :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What a frigging meanie poop pants. Are we not all here for the same reasons?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

no I just got lost on my way out of the kitchen
  • DavPul
    Options

no I just got lost on my way out of the kitchen

be careful with that

K0WEW5G.jpg
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think there's a 'cleanse' thread in the General forum, you could go crap in that. :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy bodypump more, just do that once a week too.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I think there's a 'cleanse' thread in the General forum, you could go crap in that. :laugh:

is it in the kitchen?

I'm only familiar with appliances in the kitchen.:tongue:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is more cardio then lifting.

I don't know why people try to reinvent getting muscle so much.

Bench
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press
    Lat Pulldowns

Now that would be a real "body pump".
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    It's not my heart that's sore as he!! after Body Pump.

In my opinion, they try to reinvent it because heavy lifting is dull and for many, intimidating. Body Pump at least introduced the barbell to a whole new population that wouldn't have touched one ever without a class.

I wish they would come out with a good group class with heavier, lower rep lifting. Apparently enough people aren't interested in that, or there'd be too much liability and chance for injury?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    It's not my heart that's sore as he!! after Body Pump.

In my opinion, they try to reinvent it because heavy lifting is dull and for many, intimidating. Body Pump at least introduced the barbell to a whole new population that wouldn't have touched one ever without a class.

I wish they would come out with a good group class with heavier, lower rep lifting. Apparently enough people aren't interested in that, or there'd be too much liability and chance for injury?

we do a lot of super high rep stuff in dance class.

I am pulling over 250 lbs of dead lift at this point- regularly. We do ballet flat back squats - no weight- I'm sore.

Sore doesn't mean you got a good- effective work out- it just means you haven't used that muscle in that way- in a while.

I'll be honest- I have no idea how heavy lifting is more dull than doing endless useless repetitions that aren't doing anything for you- the thought of doing 300 + repetitions of something makes the inner student in my scream WHY. (you know- WHY do I need to know this for the test- it's useless in real life- the questions you asked as a high schooler LOL)

It's just not the most effective use of your time- so it's GREAT if you love it- it's GREAT if you want cardio- but compared to progressive lifting I simply cannot fathom how it's more interesting and how heavy lifting could be dull. I understand it's not glamorous- it's a lot of the same lifts over and over again- but you are really challenging your self by adding the weight- you are pushing the actual hard limits of your physical strength- and that is never dull.

I'm a big fan of people doing what they love- so I don't begrudge anyone who does BodyPump- but I do not approve of people who are convinced it's a form of weight lifting and it's great for strength.

Muscle endurance and muscle strength are NOT the same thing. At all.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I'll be honest- I have no idea how heavy lifting is more dull than doing endless useless repetitions that aren't doing anything for you-
    I see your point but I think the class is fun for people and it's not doing nothing for them, it's burning calories, using muscles they otherwise don't and like you said, building endurance.

A lot of the people in the class are heavy females or senior females, I think. They feel intimidated enough in a gym without having to research WHAT is most efficient, HOW to lift, how many reps, which lifts, what weights, what progressions, how often, what's safe, what's overkill, etc.

It probably doesn't help that some gyms don't even allow real lifting, much less encourage it.

I'd much rather see women in Body Pump class than in Curves.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Do what you like.. the benefits are different.. Bodypummp is more inclined for cardio, but if you pile enough weights on you'll get a workout that way too. I do it sometimes just because. I do Zumba because I love to dance and combat because man that is one awesome workout! I also lift heavy 3-4 times a week (meaning I don't always get to 10 reps before my muscles give out) and do a full body workout 3-4 times a week.

I need to make my exercise different to keep me interested otherwise i'll get bored and quit.

But the short answer is no. it's not the same..

If you're just looking to lose the weight, you'll do better with cardio to increase deficit. I'm stuck where i'm at too again, but i'm not worried about it until January.
    I see your point but I think the class is fun for people and it's not doing nothing for them, it's burning calories, using muscles they otherwise don't and like you said, building endurance.

A lot of the people in the class are heavy females or senior females, I think. They feel intimidated enough in a gym without having to research WHAT is most efficient, HOW to lift, how many reps, which lifts, what weights, what progressions, how often, what's safe, what's overkill, etc.

It probably doesn't help that some gyms don't even allow real lifting, much less encourage it.

How is curves not good???? My mother went there for awhile. It helped her tremendously. Got her off the couch, got her moving and got her going to the gym. I'd never advocate it as a forever gym, but it's defiantly a good place to start for some people.

I think the class is fun, and I think it's a way to get in some weight lifting and cardio.. but it doesn't burn all that many calories.. a few hundred.. so it's not really a replacement for cardio or weights. It definitely is good for something different and it motivates you to keep at it for a whole hour. That's probably the class I attend the least, but I do it sometimes and I find it fun. :) it's also good for those days when I am just lacking motivation to go lift..I go to that, it's not high intensity it gets me moving and I usually end up lifting afterwards. lol
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    **MY ACTUAL QUESTION**: Does BodyPump (high-rep, relatively low weight exercises) give my body the same benefits as high-weight, low-rep lifting? I'm thinking bone density and connective tissue strength in particular.

No
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Curves is fine. But if lifting heavy is a 10 and BP is a 7, I'd give Curves a 3.
    I think the class is fun, and I think it's a way to get in some weight lifting and cardio.. but it doesn't burn all that many calories.. a few hundred.. so it's not really a replacement for cardio or weights.

I've worn a HRM in BP and I burn around 400 calories, and that's at my goal weight. Curves is around 200 calories max for most, I think. I don't understand how BP can be 'not really a replacement for cardio or weights'. It's discussed here like it's sitting around discussing exercise or something. I don't even go to it but I feel like I need to defend it. :laugh:
  • lisakay0x
    lisakay0x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    *Ahem*

I just started doing Body Pump earlier this month - and I'm also someone who has been too terrified to try the bigger free weights/machines in the section of the gym where everyone looks like they know what they're doing.

It's been a great intro to lifting :) I now know what a deadlift is! And proper form! That's kind of important since I'm an old woman now and worry about throwing out my back.

I've also discovered I'm weak as *kitten* - struggling with the weights they advise us to use in the class.

Great starting place to lifting, IMO :)
  • DavPul
    Options
    ^She's an "old woman now". heh
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking bone density and connective tissue strength in particular.

Depending on the load and rep range used in your class the answer, for these specific parameters, is....

Yes.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Curves is fine. But if lifting heavy is a 10 and BP is a 7, I'd give Curves a 3.
    I think the class is fun, and I think it's a way to get in some weight lifting and cardio.. but it doesn't burn all that many calories.. a few hundred.. so it's not really a replacement for cardio or weights.

I've worn a HRM in BP and I burn around 400 calories, and that's at my goal weight. Curves is around 200 calories max for most, I think. I don't understand how BP can be 'not really a replacement for cardio or weights'. It's discussed here like it's sitting around discussing exercise or something. I don't even go to it but I feel like I need to defend it. :laugh:

well mine says less then 400 during body pump. I say it's not a replacement because you don't *really* get a cardio workout and you don't get the benefits of heavy lifting. It's not bad class, it has it's place and it's a pretty decent place to start. A lot of people in the classes I go to don't go into the weight room, but want to. But I wouldn't do that class *instead* of lifting or cardio. I might do it because i want something different, or I need a break from heavy lifting.. I usually do it on a "rest" or low intensity day because I get bored with my routines and it shakes it up a bit.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Not the same as "lifting heavy" at all.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/pump-fiction
  • JoRocka
    Options

I concur.
    it's not NOTHING- it's just not the thing they think it's doing.

I view anyone who does BP about the same level as someone in Curves.

And that's okay- I don't be grudge anyone for that. It works for them- it gets them doing something they like- it gets them off the couch moving- and improving their lives.

But it's not training- it's just a work out. I guess one of the things to always keep in mind some people are not training. they are not trying to get any particular goal/achievement as far as weight lifting- or exercise... their ONLY goal is to not be fat.

Not everyone wants to look a certain way- have a certain low BF% or have significant strength gains- they mostly want to improve their quality of life by not being over weight.

and that is GREAT. It's just something I always have to keep in mind- my goal is not everyone else's goal.

It doesn't mean magically the class is going to do something it won't- which is why I will always say something- but it doesn't make them wrong for wanting to do it.