dry skin

Options
During winter I have perpetually dry skin as a result of the overall lower humidity, the wind, the changes between inside and outside temps, the warmer buildings (house and work). it is often itchy and seems to get scratched/scrapped very easily. I put lotion on my hands; 5 minutes later they feel and look like sandpaper again.

I was wondering what i could change in my diet that would help? I'm pretty sure this is not a water thing as I drink enough that I have to go about once an hour and my urine is very pale to clear in color. I do drink less in the evening just so I don't wake up as much at night, but I do that in the summer as well. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, until I increased fats in my diet. It didn't matter how much water I drank or how many expensive creams from France and Switzerland I used. Too low on fats in my diet was the culprit.
  • soul_nourish
    Options
    Hi, increase the fat in your diet ~ more good quality oils, nuts, avocados, oily fish...etc. this will certainly help!
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've heard that an increase in fats will help. Also, a non-diet suggestion - perhaps a small humidifier for your home/work may help. I have a humidifier in my living room and that has made a lot of difference with the dry skin.
  • lauragokey5
    Options
    I love using coconut oil. It helps my dry skin so much and it smells yummy!
  • justianne82
    Options
    Add fruits and vegetables to your daily meal, eating fruits and vegetables daily will naturally help you to have a beautiful, glowing and healthy skin. Berries and citrus fruits are rich in Vitamin C which helps our skin to be brighter and glowing. You can also put Essenzza natural Japanese silk facial treatment mask once a week to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with those above. More fat. When we start tracking our food it's often with low cal foods which also happen to be low in fat. Result is that we end up low on the fat macro.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Eat more omega-3-fatty acids.

Flax oil (vegetarian) and fish oil (omnivorous) are Omega-3 supplements in case you have a hard time choosing foods high in omega-3s. Neither of them stands up to heat, so you need to use them as salad dressing or a straight supplement, not as cooking oil.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love using coconut oil. It helps my dry skin so much and it smells yummy!

I second this.

I use it for cooking, and I keep some in the shower as well. It makes a great make-up remover and an even better after-shower moisturizer for dry, itchy winter skin.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Like most posters allready claim, up your fats. Also i found out that drinking alot of water helps your skin alot
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Not for internal use ... Look at NOW Solutions 100% Shea Butter and Grape Seed Oil. I mix them and slather them on before I go to bed. Has really, really helped me. Have always had horribly dry/sensitive skin.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For dry skin, one special remedy is drinking lots of water. Drinking water is the solution for most of the health issues. Water level in the body makes your body balanced and gives a natural glow to your skin.