weight gain post heavy workouts?

Options
Hi... looking for some input... Is it typical for the scale to read a few pounds heavier the day after intense physical activity? My girlfriend and I did a 75km bike ride for MS yesterday. Burned over 1700 calories and were turning the pedals for just over 4 hours. We were both pretty disappointed to get on the scale this morning to find we were up a few pounds! :noway:

Is this normal? If not, WTF??? :tongue:

Kate :ohwell:

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Yep, pretty sure it is. Your muscles retain water after being worked hard. I gain weight the next day after a good 30 Day Shred video. No worries :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The body's weight gain/loss cycles don't always coincide with our scale routines.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Also, you guys probably drank a TON of water afterward that you might not have run through yet. :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi... looking for some input... Is it typical for the scale to read a few pounds heavier the day after intense physical activity? My girlfriend and I did a 75km bike ride for MS yesterday. Burned over 1700 calories and were turning the pedals for just over 4 hours. We were both pretty disappointed to get on the scale this morning to find we were up a few pounds! :noway:

Is this normal? If not, WTF??? :tongue:

Kate :ohwell:

I have no idea whether it is normal or not, but I can tell you this, everytime I exercise, I swell up and my weight will "up" for a while. I always put it down to extra fluid around my tired muscles, the weight has always reduced again though and you might find after a couple of days, once your body has calmed down again you will have shifted some weight there. That was a hell of a bike ride WTG!!
  • watagole
    Options
    ya i agree WTF!!!!! :grumble:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal and you will most likely see some change in the next few days. Kudos on the ride!