Unattainable goal?

Options
I need opinions. I keep hearing that my goal is unattainable, or that if I do get to my goal weight, I'm not going to be able to maintain it because it is too low. I honestly do not think that my goal weight is too low, but I also know that I have struggled in the past with unhealthy weight loss, and self starvation. I don't know if my goal is a healthy, attainable goal or if the "ill" part of my brain is taking over....

Height: 5'3.5"
SW: 150 lb. (I think a little higher, but 150 was the highest I ever admitted to myself)
CW: 126.5 - 128.5 (fluctuations obviously)
GW: 115 lb.

I've been eating about 1360 calories a day for the last 5ish months, plus always eat back my exercise calories. I personally feel like I still have a lot of fat on my body. But, again, I don't know if that is the "ill" portion of my brain trying to convince me that I'm covered in a thick layer of fat.

Can anyone give me insight on this please? I feel so lost :(

Replies

• KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well I can say that you do not look like you are carrying a lot of fat. I think your goal is attainable and can be kept if you keep up good eating habits and some exercise.

If you feel like you have too much fat(which, again, I do not think you do) try some lifting. It will help tone you so you have more definition. I can't tell what you are doing for exercise since we are not friends on here but I think lifting would help.

Overall, you are in great shape and good luck on attaining your goal!
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    Your goal is absolutely perfect for you. I am your height and look healthy when I weigh 115. The one thing I would suggest is figuring out your frame size because it definitely influences your final goal and how you look. If you have large bones 115 might be too small. Best of luck to you, I hope you achieve your goal.
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm about the same height as you, and I have the same goal... Which is the weight I was when I finished high school (actually, just a little less). So I don't think it's unattainable. Just remember, if you get to the stage where you're not losing and you're comfortable, be happy with that.

Maybe you'd be better off going by measurements, rather than the scale. You can get goal measurements (maybe based on healthy estimates from your doctor?).
  • ileitch
    Options
    At 115, your BMI would be 20.0, which is in the "healthy" range.
    You are so close. Go for your goal. Listen politely to others' opinions and then do what suits you.
    On the way down to 115, see how you feel. If you find that you felt better at 120, you can relax a little.
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    thanks to everyone who commented :) I feel better and more re-assured about my goal.

skinnybythank - how do I determine my frame size?

for exercise, I have done the 30 Day Shred two times (the first time, I did levels 1,2, & 3 for 15 days each. the second time, I did each level for 10 days)

Now I am moving on to Ripped in 30. Today is my second day
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    do you have anywhere or any way to get a body composition done? AND do you lift??
    it really helped me dial in my FAT loss once i knew how much i was carrying vs water and muscle and could periodically watch that number.. (go down) then using this site to carefully watch my macros... i realized i needed to lower my carbs, up my protein, and start lifting!! :) i didnt get to my goal weight.. but realized i was in great shape at 129lbs with muscles and that body fat % is really all i focus on now. hope that helped. Don't give up and don't make yourself feel like you are being "Ill" by desiring a more fit body. I know from experience, the last 5-10 are really hard. Your goal weight is not un realistic, although you may change it if you start to build muscle? you look great! best wishes!
  • benniesmother
    Options
    I don't think there is anywhere in my city that does anything like that........... where would I even go? I live in a ****ty little town, hahaha.

I don't lift, however I would love to start. I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred twice, and I am starting Ripped in 30 now. this might sound completely stupid, but I am learning so I don't really care! I know that I incorporate weights into these workouts, so does that count as weight training? (jeez... that sounds pretty stupid...)

if these workouts ARE considered weight training, I imagine they certainly aren't considered lifting.

I have been wanting to start lifting, but as of right now I don't have access to a gym. Tips, anyone?

Thanks so much EVERYONE for all the feedback! It makes me feel great!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Or just lift and get more muscle, that will burn the last of your fat probably too.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I need opinions. I keep hearing that my goal is unattainable, or that if I do get to my goal weight, I'm not going to be able to maintain it because it is too low. I honestly do not think that my goal weight is too low, but I also know that I have struggled in the past with unhealthy weight loss, and self starvation. I don't know if my goal is a healthy, attainable goal or if the "ill" part of my brain is taking over....

SW: 150 lb. (I think a little higher, but 150 was the highest I ever admitted to myself)

I've been eating about 1360 calories a day for the last 5ish months, plus always eat back my exercise calories. I personally feel like I still have a lot of fat on my body. But, again, I don't know if that is the "ill" portion of my brain trying to convince me that I'm covered in a thick layer of fat.

You are eating at close to Maintnance depending on what you do at work. It will take you a while to get to your goal but should be healthier for you in the long run.

I'm 5'3" and am 115lb- down from 190lb. I've actually had a hard time Maintaining - I guess I got so used to eating so little I'm not keeping the weight up. It isn't about Maintaining at a specific weight, it's more about making sure you eat your goal every day.

You can do it.
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's a very obtainable goal, you can do it!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    It's not unattainable, but how badly do you want it?

I'm 5'5'' and when I was in my 20's maintained at 114-117 lbs, but I had to keep my calories around 800-1200/day and exercise relentlessly 6-7 days/week and often more than once/day.

I wasn't unhealthy and I looked fantastic, but I had to learn to live with being hungry almost all the time.

I'm 44 now and if I drop to 117 lbs (which I did after I had my kids,) I look like a meth head with inexplicably good teeth and skin. Strangers offer me food and my boyfriend complains that I have no shape. Now, my decision to aim for a higher/easier weight isn't difficult.

However, if I were in 20's again, single and often scantily clad . . . I would probably choose to weigh less. (GOOD NEWS - we've learned a lot about nutrition and fitness since then, and you have much better tools available to you than I did, so it won't be as hard to maintain a lower weight if you do decide to go for it.)
  • desolate_angel
    desolate_angel Posts: 170 Member
    Options

skinnybythank - how do I determine my frame size?

Body frame size is determined by a person's wrist circumference in relation to his height. For example, a man whose height is over 5' 5" and wrist is 6" would fall into the small-boned category.

Determining frame size: To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned.

Women:
    •Height under 5'2" ◦Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    ◦Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    ◦Large = wrist size over 5.75"

•Height 5'2" to 5' 5" ◦Small = wrist size less than 6"
    ◦Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    ◦Large = wrist size over 6.25"

•Height over 5' 5" ◦Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    ◦Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    ◦Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:
    •Height over 5' 5" ◦Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
    ◦Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
    ◦Large = wrist size over 7.5"

Source: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Whilst it's not unattainable, as someone who used to be fixated on a scale number, I would highly recommend throwing that notion out the window. Weight isn't that relevant and is so variable because of a million factors.

I got down to my lowest weight, but then added muscle, lost fat, and ended up kilos heavier but the same size.
    Measurements - cm's/inches and body fat% or skinfolds is a much better way to determine your results.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anywhere in my city that does anything like that........... where would I even go? I live in a ****ty little town, hahaha.

Fitness and / or medical centers tend to have some method available. It can be called things like body composition measurement or body fat measurement.

Whatever they call it, if you can figure out or at least get a good estimate of how much of your current weight is from extra fat, you'll have a better idea of how attainable your goal is.

If you can reach your goal by losing pounds just from that "extra" fat, then it's more attainable. However, if the weight of necessary items in your body, like organs, bones, water, PLUS the necessary amount of fat (you do need some) is close to your goal, it's going to be harder to reach. But that's not saying you can't try to get there.
  • benniesmother
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's comments! I appreciate everyone's opinions so much!
  • splitaces
    Options

there is a calculator that can help you to find your ideal weight and based off what u said it says u should weigh around (107-135) pounds is a healthy weight, but anyway here is the link to it(http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/weight/)