Is anybody else tired of the whole "weight loss" thing?

Options
Ok here is my issue....My weight has fluctuated throughout my life...I have been very fit, and very fat... The more I try to lose weight, the fatter I get..
I find that I have the most success when I just "let go", and stop trying so hard...I am naturally a very active person, love to cook, and have been a vegetarian for around 8 years..at my core I am a healthy, fit person...but when I start trying to control things (calorie intake, burn etc.) I start obsessing, freak out and gain a bunch of weight.
Anyway, is anyone else seriously sick of the whole "dieting" thing? Does anyone else want to just relax, live life, and see what happens? Don't get me wrong, I am still going to work out (for fun, not only calorie burn), and eat healthy foods (also for fun and because they taste good and make me feel good, not counting calories or worrying about fat), I'm just not going to be so structured or feel guilty when I "mess up". I know that my body naturally wants to be fit, and if I get out of my own way it might just happen.
Who's with me?

Replies

• rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    That's me. I don't log often, as I get compulsive about it, and to me it's not something I want to my doing for the rest of my life. But I am working on just generally being more aware of what I'm eating, how it affects my health, and being more active...
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    To answer our question .... YES.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yeah, which is why I went the sustainable lifestyle change route.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    see, my body doesn't want to be fit. It wants to be a 15lbs overweight couch potato.

I have put the maintenance calories of my goal weight as my calorie goal and I am trying to teach myself what a portion or those calories look like.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!
    MOTIVATION is key!
    GIDDY UP AND GO KICK SOME BUTT!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Yes I am sick of it too but I was also sick of being fat and I am loving the new me. So for now I have to carry on.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm changing my lifestyle, not my diet.
    I'm counting calories until I get to my goal weight, but half of that is just to make me more aware of my bad habits and help me to gain new good habits.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Pretty much! Which is why i'm still sticking to a daily calorie deficit during the week while working out. i do however allow myself extra treats in the weekends, so overall i'm essentially on maintenance, which i've been for about 4 months now with good results showing already :)
  • Morryarty
    Options
    Totally get what you are saying, don't totally get why your asking it on a Fitness/lifestyle (yes) and calorie counting (yes it is) website? :smile:

The thing that really gets me is the 'No pain no gain, push hard feel the burn bollox', it dose more harm than good putting lots of people who are uncertain about exercise right off. Weight lose is 70% nutrition only 30% exercise!!!:grumble:

James
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I go months without logging with no problem as long as I eat healthy, watch my portions and stay active.

This is NOT A FREAKING CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE. IT IS A FITNESS COMMUNITY! IT'S NOT CALLED "MYCALORIECOUNTINGPAL.COM".

We are all here for different reasons. Some of us like to share recipes, exercise ideas, and chat with others with healthy lifestyles, whether or not we choose to count calories or not.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I go months without logging with no problem as long as I eat healthy, watch my portions and stay active.

This is NOT A FREAKING CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE. IT IS A FITNESS COMMUNITY! IT'S NOT CALLED "MYCALORIECOUNTINGPAL.COM".

We are all here for different reasons. Some of us like to share recipes, exercise ideas, and chat with others with healthy lifestyles, whether or not we choose to count calories or not.

Except, it's primary function is a tool for counting calories.

Sure, it has a forum where a few people try to get the majority of whacky advice on health and fitness dispelled, but there are loads of fitness forums on the net. This isn't even near the best one.....

The calorie counter is pretty sweet though....
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Horses for courses I guess. If I don't watch myself then my weight "creeps". I tend to over eat, & if I'm not exercising consistently I gain (basic 101 I know). However, I'm not obsessed by my ticker being out of the red & don't really sweat going over my daily allowance. Personally I find it helpful for me to have a clear visual of how much I am consuming daily, but everyone has their own version of what works for them.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda do get sick of it. Then I remember that I've lost 35lbs, am stronger, healthier and damn better looking, that I've fallen in love with working out and that I can still eat pretty much whatever I like and appreciate moderation instead of pure indulgence.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I love data!! So, no. For me it's satisfying to have pie charts and percentages and masses so I know where I am every day, and I have an image of my progress (it's too easy to slip back into bad habits without data keeping me accountable). It could be nice to be carefree, but I am just not that person.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    This
    Yeah, which is why I went the sustainable lifestyle change route.

And this
    That's why I'm changing my lifestyle, not my diet.
    I'm counting calories until I get to my goal weight, but half of that is just to make me more aware of my bad habits and help me to gain new good habits.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Diets never work. So, if that is what you are doing, you will only fail. Your lifestyle must change. Don't worry about calories, just eat as healthy as you can.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Diets never work. So, if that is what you are doing, you will only fail. Your lifestyle must change. Don't worry about calories, just eat as healthy as you can.

I disagree that calorie counting is doomed to failure: I think it can become part of one's lifestyle to log calories consistently, it just gets easier and becomes more of a habit over time. I don't think there's a surefire way to lose or maintain without counting unless you're VERY good at eyeballing your portions, etc. 'Eating as healthily as you can' could easily lead to a gain if you overestimate.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Um. You're on a weight loss site. No, most of us aren't really sick of the whole "weight loss" thing. Nothing wrong with what you're saying, though.
  • SkunkMan69
    Options
    no
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    yes ! sick of it but I found years ago that once I admitted that I had a weight issue there was no turning back.
    Oh there were times I would lose 20 30 lb then I would gain it back and not try for a while but I could never just quit it was always there nagging at me that I needed to do something weather I did lose or failed again forgetting about it and go on with live with out it I couldn't never do.